SALTFATS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I am late starting the build but am pretty sure I can pull it off before the deadline. I am doing a Saltflat themed bike starting with a 40s Hiawatha frame only. Today the frame is being stripped and lengthened by 3" and the forks mocked up.

IMG_5205.jpg

IMG_5206.jpg

Decided where to cut and lengthen the frame so chopped it and made these sleeves to weld into place. This will allow for a stronger weld joint and make metal finishing easier.
IMG_5207.jpg

IMG_5210.jpg

IMG_5211.jpg

IMG_5212.jpg

very nice! i have a frame like that, wanna chop mine too? :D

jezusjonz said:
Waiting eagerly....love anything to do with the flats. Love your way of stretching a frame wish I had a lathe. I found that a good piece of angle iron works great also to hold your piece your adding to the frame.
Terry

Thats exactly how I line things up while tack welding. I built up the forks and headset stuff today so will post photos later.

I mocked up the fork and front end assembly today. Tubes are 1" stainless, the tripples are off a Giannini R-2 minimoto that my kid wrecked a few years ago. The headset is a sealed bearing setup that required some custom inserts to make work right. Everything is a few thou oversized and pressed into place. I decided to put an adjustable steering damper on the front end similar to the ones the older speed run motorcycles use at Bonneville (some used two). I plan on reworking the tripple trees to get rid of the billet look and make them look like they were cast.
The bike looks a little out of proportion without the tires, I will wait until they arrive before I final weld in case something needs to be moved around

cid_A27379E7-903F-4BE8-B799-08FBF76.jpg

cid_52825F4B-1DAA-492B-8B11-FD41E20.jpg

cid_3E3D045D-198C-4AE0-8A2E-4CA6667.jpg

cid_08636FB8-B8BF-46BF-8337-6BC9A88.jpg

cid_8DD0C51A-E9BB-4A10-9EA9-4198C7F.jpg

very nice!
i like your style 8)

bike doesn't even have tires, and it looks faster than my rocket car :shock:

(okay, i don't have a rocket car......)

I like it, I like the bike, the vette, the tools...
I see you´re building a nice tank for it too, pics?

hillsmith said:
jezusjonz said:
Waiting eagerly....love anything to do with the flats. Love your way of stretching a frame wish I had a lathe. I found that a good piece of angle iron works great also to hold your piece your adding to the frame.
Terry

Thats exactly how I line things up while tack welding. I built up the forks and headset stuff today so will post photos later.

What would it cost to make a set (3)of those "stretching" inserts ? I have an old Marshall-Wells ZENITH that has a motor installed on it.....It would look good stretched ! Then I could fab up a long tank for it!

Really liking this build, it's begging for round slicks front and back. 8)

FLAT BLACK KUSTOMS said:
hillsmith said:
jezusjonz said:
Terry

What would it cost to make a set (3)of those "stretching" inserts ? I have an old Marshall-Wells ZENITH that has a motor installed on it.....It would look good stretched ! Then I could fab up a long tank for it!

Get some 1/4 wall tubing with the correct outside diameter, in my case it was 1" and any local machine shop could turn down the ends for you, probably an hour shop time. Don't assume that the wall thickness is the same on all of the tubing on your bike, mine was built with two different tubing sizes.

LOVE the steering damper hope you dont mind if i steal that for my latest project, no idea if it will work a .... but heck it looks cool hahaa

IMG_5218.jpg

Any idea what bike this is off originally or is it an after-market steering damper for use on any bike??

I agree with above poster too...bikez screaming for some slicks, BIG fat 3inch jobs IMO would suit it...I would be popping a 49cc Grubee motor in too with
a nice tuned pipe for some forward mojo too ...

Best of luck finishing the bike loks fantastic thus far well done !

KiM

Guys like you make me afraid to post my project. Good work.

I'm really liking the raw metal with the black wheels. I'm sure it's not part of the program, but I would leave the raw metal, get some black tires and go with it.

I have not read the thread, only looked at pictures, so if it seems like I'm a ......., it's because I am. :lol:

AussieJester said:
LOVE the steering damper hope you dont mind if i steal that for my latest project, no idea if it will work a dang but h*** it looks cool hahaa

IMG_5218.jpg

Any idea what bike this is off originally or is it an after-market steering damper for use on any bike??

I agree with above poster too...bikez screaming for some slicks, BIG fat 3inch jobs IMO would suit it...I would be popping a 49cc Grubee motor in too with
a nice tuned pipe for some forward mojo too ...

Best of luck finishing the bike loks fantastic thus far well done !

KiM

The damper is for a CRG Italian Pocketbike with 20 something adjustments. You can get them from Mid South Mini Moto still I think. Look under GRC steering or fork parts.

Latest posts

Back