SALTFATS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skipton said:
Any update on this cool bike?

Yes, The frame is finished and painted, the side panels are done and being pinstriped tomorrow, forks are done but a new aluminum top tripple will be needed to get the rake just right. The seat was built today and I will post photos in a bit. The seat build required making molds and a press but the rough shape is done finally. I am pretty happy with it so far other than the unbelieveable amount of time spent and the fact that nothing fit without modifications. It is going to come down to the wire but it will be done.

PICT0004.jpg

salt20flat.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0013.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

OK; These are todays photos of the seat progess. A friend of mine (Ryan) builds one off custom motorcycle seats so we took an old (no longer used) mold and chopped it up for a bicycle seat size, photo 1 shows the pie section that we had to remove. The aluminum pan was rough cut to shape then pressed to get the front formed. The near complete photos show the rear of the seat is starting to take shape but some fine tuning will be needed with the english wheel. Tomorrow I will trial fit it then start the shaping to make sure it is comfortable. A thrashed Brooks seat was used as a template to get the basic shape right.

hillsmith said:
OK; These are todays photos of the seat progess. A friend of mine (Ryan) builds one off custom motorcycle seats so we took an old (no longer used) mold

Where do people find these friends dang it all I get out of my friends is a Coors....oh well...POP....cant wait to see this finished paint pinstripes louvers oh my.....
Terry

Things are finally coming together. Today I finished up the side panels made from scratch. I used 18G steel then punched in a set of louvers and shaped the panel to fit within the top and middle straight bar. The finish was done by putting a sanded swirl finish around the edges then I taped off the finished edge and glass beaded the center around the louvers. This gives the bare metal a two-tone appearance. The panels were then clear-powdercoated and a gold-leaf script added. Some very light gray and black pinstriping finished it off.

IMG_5251.jpg

Latest posts

Back