SaltHammer Savannah Sand Flats Silver King (1935 Monark Silver King) - Aug01 FINISHED! What A Blast!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I know that you've made your decision on the bars, but you did show the different choices so I figure it's fair game to comment on them. :bigsmile:

I liked these best...
index.php

I was actually pretty "AMP"ed about trying out the AMP Research fork that arrived in the mail today.

View attachment 23593

Well, I was quickly let down. It was advertised as a 1" but turned out to be a 1-1/8" steer tube. I tried, but there is no way for it to fit in the SK head tube. :(
So the seller is going to take it back. If anyone is interested in it let me know. It's a pretty killer fork and I had plans to do a faux Monark springer treatment to it.

View attachment 23595
If you still have the Amp fork see if Cane Creek has a solution. The tapered Lauf fork being used on "Sorcery" uses a headset with the bearings on the outside of the head tube. Crazy, right.

OK, I know that you've made your decision on the bars, but you did show the different choices so I figure it's fair game to comment on them. :bigsmile:

I liked these best...
index.php

I always appreciate your feedback my friend. It's FAR too early in the build to say that any of my choices are final. I agree that these bars give the bike a racier edge, but they just didn't feel right for my style of cruising. Style my trump function in the end, but for now I'm digging the longhorns better.

Those moons with that frame are a real home run I think. The bars all look pretty good on there. Looks killer already!

Okay, so there are a couple of things that I think could really take this thing that extra step:
1. An aluminum grooved front fender (Honjo or similar) mounted at the rear.
2. A pair of brushed aluminum oval number plates (bead-rolled edges) mounted inside of the swoop in the seatstays.

Awesome start ! love the disks and the frame :113:

What about just changing the head tube in the fork ? isent is just press fited from under ? maybe possible to remove and replace ?

Okay, so there are a couple of things that I think could really take this thing that extra step:
1. An aluminum grooved front fender (Honjo or similar) mounted at the rear.
2. A pair of brushed aluminum oval number plates (bead-rolled edges) mounted inside of the swoop in the seatstays.

Hmmmmmm :39: I'll have to play around with those ideas.
I can see the fender maybe working well.
The number plates may accent the swooping seatstays, but they may also clutter and detract from them. Thanks for the ideas.

What about just changing the head tube in the fork ? isent is just press fited from under ? maybe possible to remove and replace ?

Already shipped the AMP fork back.
After the mockups, I am leaning towards the stock forks for now.

Just pulled the truss rods from the SK I bought last week. I'll try them out this weekend sometime. I'm gonna try to salvage the tire for a real ratty look too. :crazy:

20160506_164315[1].jpg

Dude that suuuucks that would have look sweet . I surprised iv never had seen that amp fork . Will it not fit in the head tube ? I think they make a conversation head set to adapter , or is it 1 1/8 to 1" can't remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G, when I was editing a mountain bike mag in the mid '90s I tested the Univega models with the ground breaking new fork, the Concept fork (made by AMP Research and branded by Univega). Rode it in MN in November (not fun) and then visited their factory in Long Beach, CA and got to ride it in the San Juans for a couple days. It was way lighter than the current offerings by Rock Shox, Manitou, and Marzocchi. Not a lot of travel, but handled well!
IMAG0811_zpsf14d274d.jpg

G, when I was editing a mountain bike mag in the mid '90s I tested the Univega models with the ground breaking new fork, the Concept fork (made by AMP Research and branded by Univega). Rode it in MN in November (not fun) and then visited their factory in Long Beach, CA and got to ride it in the San Juans for a couple days. It was way lighter than the current offerings by Rock Shox, Manitou, and Marzocchi. Not a lot of travel, but handled well!View attachment 23662
That's cool Oj so you been a bike junkie a while then . That must have been a great job .[emoji106]

That's cool Oj so you been a bike junkie a while then . That must have been a great job .[emoji106]

Yeah, it was part-time but the benefits were outstanding! :wink1: Raced mountain bikes from 1987-2000 throughout the Midwest, helped promote and sponsor races for 10 of those years. Created a regional mtb newsletter called the 'Hobknobber' which ran for 3 seasons. Edited for a couple smaller mags. Announced state race series for 3 years after 'retirement' from racing. Highlight was announcing the amateur race categories for the NORBA National in Minnesota....my voice was hear briefly on ESPN! haha! Now you got me started....but this is King's build thread....sorry B. Promise I'll shut up now....o_O

Tell me more lol your just adding pages to kings thread . He will be happy .
Anyway it sounded fun [emoji106][emoji106]

Chatty Kathys here.:bigboss::21:

Latest posts

Back