SaltHammer Savannah Sand Flats Silver King (1935 Monark Silver King) - Aug01 FINISHED! What A Blast!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an idea, but the argument for/against truss rods had me think: what about a compromise of airfoil(ish)-shaped truss . . . wings?

This is looking great, either way. I think it's one of those looks where you could do a half dozen things that would all be different, but equally swell.

Although... another cue would be IF they had them originally...
I don't know, and I know it's not a restoration, but a re-imagining,
so it's Cool cuz it's yer bike brother.

Carl.

I don't know if this exact bike had them but this model definitely did. My 1935 Monark Silver King has the same exact fork, so it is part appropriate to use the truss rods from it on my 1937 Hawthrone AirFlow.

index.php

That ad is cool! Love the chain guard and how it flows into the seat stay. Wasn't sure about the sprocket but it looks good under that guard...:thumbsup:

OK, I know that you've made your decision on the bars, but you did show the different choices so I figure it's fair game to comment on them. :bigsmile:

I liked these best...

I like the bars he chose but I thought the choosin' went by way too fast this year. :D

Now you gotta find one of them "new patented chain guards"
(I actually like the one you have.)

Carl.

I was actually pretty "AMP"ed about trying out the AMP Research fork that arrived in the mail today.

View attachment 23593

Well, I was quickly let down. It was advertised as a 1" but turned out to be a 1-1/8" steer tube. I tried, but there is no way for it to fit in the SK head tube. :(

This would have been a great fork on this frame...bummer..

Now you gotta find one of them "new patented chain guards"
(I actually like the one you have.)

Carl.

I've never liked the pie crust "guards". Even if I had one I would probably sell it rather than use it. Whenever Tyler put his zepellin guard up for sale, I knew it was right for my Flo.

Man That chainguard is Perf !! is that original ?

I love it too. It's not original. It's called a zepellin guard I believe. I think they were aftermarket for other bikes based on the adjustable brackets.

I do think that the original SK truss rods look good, but......I actually think that a nice curved set would tie into the curves of the seat stays and round out the overall look nicely. Something like this.
127467883_---1950s-hawthorne-rollfast-bicycle-truss-rods-old-.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'm still madly in love with this build whatever you choose to do. But I would at least stick a curved set on there to see......

I think it might look good if the truss rods followed the curve of the frame with a loop (maybe not as sharp) like the seatstays have.
edit: Looks like I was beat to the punch on that suggestion.

I do think that the original SK truss rods look good, but......I actually think that a nice curved set would tie into the curves of the seat stays and round out the overall look nicely. Something like this.
127467883_---1950s-hawthorne-rollfast-bicycle-truss-rods-old-.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'm still madly in love with this build whatever you choose to do. But I would at least stick a curved set on there to see......

I think it might look good if the truss rods followed the curve of the frame with a loop (maybe not as sharp) like the seatstays have.

I could see a set of Shelby truss rods working well. They would be a bit skinnier than Silver King rods though. Interesting idea to dwell on.

What's that saying about great minds.......:nerd:

I was thinking maybe an added flat layer covering the "ribs" on the chain cover would help solidify the streamline effect. Just the ribs though, leaving the space between the ribs and the edges of the guard uncovered. :39:

Or at least straighten it out. :grin:

I was thinking maybe an added flat layer covering the "ribs" on the chain cover would help solidify the streamline effect. Just the ribs though, leaving the space between the ribs and the edges of the guard uncovered.

Or at least straighten it out.

I'll end up straightening up the guard. Right now it's still in the shape that I got it in from Tyler when he removed it last year.

WP_20150930_14_40_37_Pro.jpg

So far I'm just loosely placing it on the bike for mockups. Not sure if I follow you on how to cover the ribs but still leave space between the ribs?
To me the ribs make the guard and still work fine along the lines of a streamlined racer.

Dang King! You were one comment away from slipping to Page 2! :whew:
This build off seems more fast and furious than last year's....in more ways than one with all these 'racey' bikes underway. Seems the topic for the 'bicycle de kingfish' this year is fork struts. My .02 is I like them, and always have liked something on the forks of old bikes.....sets them apart from the ones that followed.

I haven't had time to spend more than 3 days on the build so far, so I deserve being a Page 2 or even Page 3 Slacker. No progress to report.

Latest posts

Back