Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This first entry is just the starting point, as I received the bike. Some of you have seen these pics already in the thread used to try and figure out what kind of bike it is underneath the layers of brushed on house paint etc. Looks like anyone's best guess is a late 50s import for Western flyer. Got today off and will be starting to tear into it after some coffee. Good Luck to all the builders out there!!!
0427192014.jpg
0427192015a.jpg
0428190941.jpg
Not sure how I feel about the name just yet.....often if I name something it is after it done, and has already taken shape. Doing it before ....maybe it will grow on me.

Got the parts all stripped off, and made about as straight as it is gonna get. Not perfect, but not bad all things considered. I did find a small crack I had to weld, and definitely did some moving of the frame itself to get everything in line. Now I should be ready to get the rest of the paint off....probably not today though
0501191121.jpg
0501191121a.jpg
0501191233.jpg

Taking a look at the over the top photo....I see now what poor camera angles can do for you. It is definitely straighter than it appears there,lol. Headset should be arriving tomorrow, just put in the order tonight for the BB adapter I am gonna use for this. Another 1 of the surprises in this build, odd BB shell sizing. 40mm ID x 70mm width. Managed to find something I believe will work but won't know for sure till it gets here....

Taking a look at the over the top photo....I see now what poor camera angles can do for you. It is definitely straighter than it appears there,lol. Headset should be arriving tomorrow, just put in the order tonight for the BB adapter I am gonna use for this. Another 1 of the surprises in this build, odd BB shell sizing. 40mm ID x 70mm width. Managed to find something I believe will work but won't know for sure till it gets here....
Is the BB threaded? I have found most old cotter cranks can be direct replaced with square taper ones...

Weather has been mediocre here...in the brief moments of workable conditions I have been picking away at the rack...and first of several bits to be fashioned from walnut. Obviously not a finished product, still some routing of edges and finishing touches to add. The drilling is good, and will work to mark out the placement needed to add a couple rivnuts to attach the top supports to the seatstays.
0503191859.jpg

Nice save!
Thanks! Rims should be here today, so I can figure the spokes and get them ordered. Debating how much more to do with the frame before the primer goes on it....the struggle is real,lol Still have some cleanup with the wire wheel in few spots, may drill for a bottle holder...may not.

That stem is cool, not sure if I have seen one exactly like that before. Looks like you are making good progress, despite weather conditions.

That stem is cool, not sure if I have seen one exactly like that before. Looks like you are making good progress, despite weather conditions.
I believe they said we actually got twice the average rainfall for last month...this month is not a lot better yet. Today is supposed to be nice, 70 and partly cloudy with no rain....and I will be at work ….in a basement..... with tiny windows.

Latest posts

Back