Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone tell me what reason there might be to fill the bars with expanding foam? View attachment 94492

I've done that in the past on motocross bars to dampen vibration, but i can't imagine it has much effect on bicycles. I could be wrong though

Can anyone tell me what reason there might be to fill the bars with expanding foam?

If that was one of Polands crappiest car - The Polonez, I would say - expect rust holes & a lot of putty. Hope it's not the same in that bar...

I've done that in the past on motocross bars to dampen vibration, but i can't imagine it has much effect on bicycles. I could be wrong though
Agreed, I have used it for sound dampening etc. Can't imagine what the purpose is on bicycle bars....I will have to experiment with way to remove it. Rims showed up today, look great! No work on this tonight...am getting riding something that is already to go!

Agreed, I have used it for sound dampening etc. Can't imagine what the purpose is on bicycle bars....I will have to experiment with way to remove it. Rims showed up today, look great! No work on this tonight...am getting riding something that is already to go!
Pour some acetone or something through them? or just leave it?

That's a rad stem. Looks like a threadless Cunningham style stem.... but its quill. Weird, but cool.
Seems to be a fair amount of unique stuff on this bike.....I am trying to save and use a good amount of it. Got to stripping the front wheel today, not using anything but the hubs. Not sure it's original, but it looks .... cool to me, and spins ok even before getting rebuilt...so it stays! Love that timeless Duct tape rim strip, almost a shame to trash such top end custom work. { I have been guilty of using electrical tape in a pinch, and am probably qualified to reproduce this on the new wheel....but won't }
0507190822.jpg
0507190830.jpg
0507190857.jpg

Seems to be a fair amount of unique stuff on this bike.....I am trying to save and use a good amount of it. Got to stripping the front wheel today, not using anything but the hubs. Not sure it's original, but it looks .... cool to me, and spins ok even before getting rebuilt...so it stays! Love that timeless Duct tape rim strip, almost a shame to trash such top end custom work. { I have been guilty of using electrical tape in a pinch, and am probably qualified to reproduce this on the new wheel....but won't } View attachment 94613 View attachment 94614 View attachment 94615
Bike Art

That hub looks like it came out of a racing bike, very nice.

Now that it is cleaned up , and I got that silver paint off there. The hub is marked Excel Mark 90, I believe a Wald product.

Cool frame, I am not a big fan of the classic Schwinn canti, to I like seeing different canti frames. Nice work on the coffin rack.

Cool frame, I am not a big fan of the classic Schwinn canti, to I like seeing different canti frames. Nice work on the coffin rack.
Thank you!! am definitely excited with how things are going so far.... am anxious to get some paint on the frame so I can start thinking about assembling some of the parts....maybe soon.

Thank you!! am definitely excited with how things are going so far.... am anxious to get some paint on the frame so I can start thinking about assembling some of the parts....maybe soon.

From experience, paint should be one of the last things. If you paint before you finish all your bolt on or fab ideas, and make sure all of your parts actually fit, then you are destined for scratched paint. :D

This is a very cool frame. Crazy thing is, I just bought one a couple weekends ago. Didn't know what it was but after some research I learned Murray built these under their name and Sears, Western Flyer and Hiawatha. I think there was one more but I can't remember. I was going to build it for this build off but decided I needed to finish some other builds first. Watching what you are going to do with yours. I bought mine for $25 bucks so I thought I would take a chance on a bike I knew nothing about. Now I'm loving these frames. Good luck with your build. Here's mine.

20190428_180228.jpg

20190428_180115.jpg

Last edited:
This is a very cool frame. Crazy thing is, I just bought one a couple weekends ago. Didn't know what it was but after some research I learned Murray built these under their name and Western Flyer and Hiawatha. I think there was one more but I can't remember. I was going to build it for this build off but decided I needed to finish some other builds first. Watching what you are going to do with yours. I bought mine for $25 bucks so I thought I would take a chance on a bike I knew nothing about. Now I'm loving these frames. Good luck with your build. Here's mine.

Looks like yours has some differences from mine...starting with a much nicer 1 piece crank set up instead of the cottered 3pc I've got

Latest posts

Back