Sawsall time

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been wanting to cut one up for a while now and I'm bored with this one so I guess I'll pick up a few new blades.
100_0142.jpg

still have a pile of parts to throw at it

the chaingaurd is the best part! keep that in the build.

As usual , I bait the hook and make my cast but I dont hardly get a bite.....I didn't figure many of you would
think I would actually cut up that bike but I will cut on the Schwinn in the back of this photo !
SchwinnandHawthorne.jpg

Its a bike I have had for quite a while and deserves a make over and in the proccess I am also building a new
frame jig out of an old trailer axle ,bike parts and some square tubing for this and future builds so here is the
start with an old frame being used for dimentional purposes only ... I dont plan on cutting this frame !
100_0250.jpg

I have this old tank that doesn't fit any of my Schwinns so I plan on doing a little modification to the frame
to compensate :mrgreen: and maybe a few other mods .
100_0246.jpg

100_0248.jpg

as you can see its a bit small for a 26" frame and too big for a stingray , mods will be chop, rake , seat post
tube replacement and a mild stretch of the bottom bracket.

Is the tank more bait? If that is old, it may be for a 24". Maybe worth some money.

Clancy, No its not bait and I do plan on using it in the build. Yes it is old and for a 24", probably worth a few
bucks but I dont have a frame that fits so I'll make it fit the bigger frame with the help of the sawsall.
The frame has been slightly modified at the seat tube already so its a perfect candidate for a chop job.

Looks rad. Let the sawzall loose on that vintage stuff! Dont forget to set the original Schwinn stuff on fire too for increased patina. And most importantly post your carnage over on The CABE....

ElChupacabra said:
Looks rad. Let the sawzall loose on that vintage stuff! Dont forget to set the original Schwinn stuff on fire too for increased patina. And most importantly post your carnage over on The CABE....
you wont really offend that many people over there........maybe 3 or 4.........most are into things non- schwinn :p

movin' along slowly, dividing my time with the bike and my fly tying ( its fishing season in my backyard )
so I managed to strip off the wheels and fenders and started throwing a few parts on ....I really have no clue
as to the direction I'm going yet. I had these 20x3 tire left over so that was my start.
100_0255.jpg

put the tank in place and found how different an 1982 frame is from the 1955 frame pictured above,
less to cut off but more bends are in order....
100_0251.jpg

started on the fork but no pics of that yet.

i love this bike for the wrong factor. you are in that club with me of taking rare things and whacking them up for sure.

Uuhhmm so far I haven't wacked anything rare yet Adam but I did cut the frame to make the rare part fit
a little better :wink: Started with a bead near the rear of the tank to hold the tube there then cut the tubes
near the head tube, pulled them up a 1/2 in. and rewelded them.
100_0256.jpg

tank fits much better now, not perfect but thats ok to.
100_0257.jpg

100_0258.jpg

tossed a triple tree fork on still working on the front end but this is a start
100_0259.jpg

this is an old caliper mount from a boat trailer ??????
100_0260.jpg

100_0261.jpg

yep rockers ....stretching the bb is next on the list.

FBC , I dont think that bike is a colson what I know about it is its a Clevland Welding built frame most likely its
a Hawthorne as they are the most common here in California. I never have put any time into reseaching It, I just
ride it when I feel like a workout...it weighs over 50lbs :roll:

I've had a busy week but in my travels...( read my trip to the dump this week ) I found this old lamp along with some
other goodies, I was suprised someone through it out.
100_0273.jpg

100_0270.jpg

we'll see if it fits this build today while I tinker with the bike.

Oops I think I cut up the wrong bike :roll:
100_0279.jpg

well now what , some slugs from a previously cut up Schwinn and the pieces fit though I may shorten it up a bit

100_0281.jpg

This front hub fits the crank shell pretty good
100_0282.jpg

I'll have to take all the pieces to work and do the welding since mine is still on the fritz but it will bolt on without
any frame mods, I was just going to stretch the frame but decided on rear suspention ...its a start.
100_0285.jpg

100_0287.jpg

more later

Latest posts

Back