Schoolproject: building a cruiserbike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good old school way to bend precise is to cut out the arch with some 2x12 and anchor it down, then use the arch of the wood to curve the steel. Did it for years that way until I invested in a H.F. roller. works pretty good, should work perfect given the fact you've filled the tube. Good luck! Can't wait for more!

bob4boardwalks said:
A good old school way to bend precise is to cut out the arch with some 2x12 and anchor it down, then use the arch of the wood to curve the steel. Did it for years that way until I invested in a H.F. roller. works pretty good, should work perfect given the fact you've filled the tube. Good luck! Can't wait for more!

yeah it's exactly the same principle as i tried to explain :p only i'm gonna use some sort of metal sheet instead of wood :)

well guys, the bendingprocess has begun...
after some testing back and forth i finally got the hang of it and the bending went quite good.
Nevertheless it takes rather long time to bend the tube and alone it takes even more time. Had a friend which stoped by today to help me, just to have someone who can put some pressure on the end of the tube while i can stand and heat it up helps so much. Anyway, here's some pics :)

this is the rig im using to bend the tube against
06bf4dd7.jpg

5719e8ed.jpg

using some clamps...
9c16b9f1.jpg

...a lot of clamps :p
6e5da191.jpg

coming out quite good acually :)
ff6e095e.jpg

that's all for now, next week i will try to get someone to come with me and help me to bend some more tubes :)

// Rasmus

Thanks guys :)
Today me and my friend grabbed on to the clamps once again...

tvingar.jpg

and now, to top tube is done
ttpritning-1.jpg

It's a slow process bending the tubes by hand but i don't have much of a choice.
Counted that i have somewhere between 20-30h worktime left before the bike should be done. Could be tight!

Lookin really good! I like hand made you can put alot of pride in your work.When you make it with your own hands,kinda gives it a soul! 8) :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back