Schwinn/ACS stem question....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, this stem came off an early schwinn mtb and is missing whatever piece the stem bolt rests on. i suppose it's just a bevelled washer but if anybody has a good photo of an original i'd sure appreciate seeing it.... :D

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

If I`m thinking right, your stem uses an Allen head stem bolt and it actually sits under the cap. It`s for a cleaner look. The hole is there so you can loosen or tighten the Allen bolt with the cap in place.
You set the stem in place, bolt it tight. Then you put the bars into place. The cap looks to have a little space on the underside of it big enough for a that of it a allen headed bolt.
I have a stem pretty much like this. I`ll get some pics later if I get to feeling better.

lambohaha said:
If I`m thinking right, your stem uses an Allen head stem bolt and it actually sits under the cap. It`s for a cleaner look. The hole is there so you can loosen or tighten the Allen bolt with the cap in place.
You set the stem in place, bolt it tight. Then you put the bars into place. The cap looks to have a little space on the underside of it big enough for a that of it a allen headed bolt.
I have a stem pretty much like this. I`ll get some pics later if I get to feeling better.

oh, DUH!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops: :roll:

no pic needed, thanks for snapping me out of my one-track mind rut! i was basing all my thinking on how it was when i got it!

i think i already have an old nitto like that in the spares box too! :oops:

lo and behold- the stem bolt, when correctly installed, is no longer too short. :lol:

i'll file this under 'most embarassing post'.... it's heck gettin' old...... :mrgreen:

lol I know all about the "getting old" thing. I would`ve had been able to answer this for ya if`n I hadn`t just recently gotten a Silver Streak DB from a fellow rodder with a stem style just like yours. So don`t filing this nowhere lol.

Latest posts

Back