Schwinn American

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I'm not a Schwinn fan but it was a deal. Looks in pretty good shape
on the chrome. The paint is marginal. I think its a 50's. Got them stupid 26x1 3/4 tires.
They may be the wrong size. Probably needs the 1 3/8 '' I will have to stick some air
in them and see if they actually fit. Its got the wrong seat and Kenda tires ,but looks
like everything else is original.
DSCF0004_zps56f2e5c0.jpg

DSCF0005_zps7f39ed33.jpg

Probably late 50's or early 60's. Looks just like the one I picked up & gave to my Pop's for Xmas. I was told his is a '63. I just went through it, cleaned it, polished it & put some larger 26x2x1 3/4 whitewalls from Chimi. He loves it!

Whats the serial, betting on a 60's, I think they came out in 55 ??? and had a different chainguard (hockey stick style) in the beginning. They were a middleweight bike so the wheels were the 1-3/4 S7 originally. Plus the Bendix red band hubs weren't around yet in 52 :wink:

Schwinn didn't even start making mid-weights until late '53. Check the number of digits in the serial, then check the serial in the database again. I would bet early to mid 60's.

Its been there a while, I'm surprised nobody bought it. There were three people
that called while I was there.

im surprised to I was on that side of town yesterday but I hadn't looked on craigslist.It should clean up nice.

Yeah I looked the other night and saw it and wondered why nobody bought it.
I need this like I need a hole in my head. I will figure out what to do with it.

A set of Chuck alloy rims with stainless spokes and 175 tires and its looking better already.
Lots of the room under the fenders.
DSCF0004_zpsb8b1c580.jpg

Got to snuggle a 2.125 in there with the fenders , but it will fill them up and go
without a problem. Ok I'm done. :lol:
DSCF0003_zps7d369e8d.jpg

Looks real good now with the black rims and black 2.125's. 8)

Can't go wrong with a Schwinn....a bike from an era that being built in the USA was the best in the world.

Highship I have tried to stop cutting vintage frames. I can scratch build one quicker.

Yeah Sleepy and the brochures say they are guaranteed for life. Wonder where I could
get the warranty work done on my rear hub I had to fix. :roll: :roll: :roll:

It was guaranteed for the life of the Schwinn Co., not YOUR LIFE! :p

All middleweight Schwinns from that time period used a one-piece front hub made in Germany...top quality. They couldn't put that hub on the American because it was supposed to be 100% American made so they used the cheapo 3 piece hub that falls apart eventually. Glad to see you eliminated that front hub on your American. Gary

Yeah Gary, they had so many things that could happen to a bike,that weren't covered
that the warranty wasn't much anyway. Actually these rims are off a Schwinn heavy duti
so it still all Schwinn parts. :lol: With a China flair. :oops: :oops:
Cameron I guess they still like to tout a lifetime warranty. Sounds good anyway.

Thanks Drag I'm going to take the originals and lace them to stainless spokes
after I clean the rims. Its easier that way. Those pesky spokes seem to get in the way. :wink:

Latest posts

Back