Schwinn Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Picked up a Schwinn cruiser.
Don't know much about it.
DSCF2827.JPG
DSCF2835.JPG

Thanks Dizzle Problems - I believe from the graphics and funky grips it is a 1986 model. Like our other Giant built Schwinns a lot so this should be fun to get back on the road!

Couple pics from the web of 1986 Cruiser 5.
1986 Cruiser 5 CC5BKS 1.jpg
I don't know about the BMX handgrips tho.
1986 Cruiser 5 3.jpg
The foam cushions are long gone and only the hard plastic remains. Are they hard to remove?

Last edited:
The foam was only good for protecting the chrome. I just take a knife and slice them off. The old grips can come off the same way unless you want to save them.

Pic of the head badge?

Maybe those grips are worth saving. One way to slide them off is to get an open ended wrench that will just fit over the handlebars on the the inside of the grip, then take a mallet or hammer and tap the wrench to pop it off. I've used an adjustable wrench also.

Maybe I could cut foam or soft grips and slide them over the hard plastic grips that remain on the bars?

Very nice find! Those grips look to be cooked on. Doubt you can remove them without cutting them off. The foam grips above are really nice and I have put them on a couple of my bikes. Very comfortable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back