Schwinn Finds!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom called me today from a church sale at about 11:00. 10 Minutes later I was picking up these three bikes.

A 1979 Schwinn varsity - Paint is in great shape, only a few nics

2440794367_3e8ec79167_b.jpg

2440794137_c2095cf6f0_b.jpg

A 19?? Schwinn Predator (anyone know what year) - Decals in great shape and NO rust!

2441623500_48d209ddec_b.jpg

2441623676_fb5b178a2d_b.jpg

And the least exciting a 199? Women's World Tourist - Should make a good parts bike. Grips and saddle are nice

2440794609_82447d65bc_b.jpg

My guess is that it's a 96 model then.

Supposedly the last digit is the last digit of the year model.

You kinda have to guess what decade it was from...I think.

Definitely a cool little bike though.

Hooch said:
that varsity is so pretty!!!

and it's actually a decent height frame, so I can ride it.

It looks like it will need a good bit of work. Here is what i think it needs so far:

New brake pads ( very dry)
Wheels need to be cleaned
Needs new tires - they are very crusty
sure it needs tubes too
rear derailer seems to need some adjusting. It doesn't seem to move the way i think it should
a general cleaning
and i'm sure I'l run across a few more things

I took the Predator for a spin tonight. I felt like a grizzly bear on a unicycle

Bunbury said:
schwinnmesa said:
Dude I love your World Tourist. I have one just like that and mine is a 1983.

I agree, don't overlook the Tourist, it's a very nice bike.

So what is a fair price for a World Tourist??? This past weekend I saw one at a storage center garage sale for $75 in pretty good shape...

Check it out:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2272/2470131708_9865918435_o.jpg

The guy also had a Murray Monterrey that I think was $50...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2324/2470132046_665a1702de_o.jpg

I didn't buy these only because I only paid about $20 for the last to vintage bikes I bought...

Z

$75 is a fair price, but you could probably double that on craigslist (depending on your market...) Smart buyers know that the same money will only buy a disposable POS at the dep't store.

Bunbury said:
$75 is a fair price, but you could probably double that on craigslist (depending on your market...) Smart buyers know that the same money will only buy a disposable POS at the dep't store.

Thanks, I might go visit this guy...I remember him saying that the price was high so he would have some place to come down from... Might go give it a try...

GTCOMA said:
My mom called me today from a church sale at about 11:00. 10 Minutes later I was picking up these three bikes.
Aren't MOMS great, I miss mine.............DON'T FORGET HER SUNDAY!

GTCOMA said:

OK, so i decide I will swap out the wheels on this bike for a set with a single speed coaster brake and lose all the cables, shifters and derailers and go for a clean simple look.

But, when got the bike out to check it out something did not seem right. Turns out the freewheel action on this bike is built in to the bottom bracket and the rear wheel has a fixed gear. So a coaster brake will be useless. Does anybody know if the is a quick way to lock up the freewheel bottom bracket or swap it out...safely?

I figured out that it is a Shimano FF (Front Freewheeling) system. It was a system that only lasted a couple of years. the thought was that you could shift through gears even when you were coasting. still does me no good for a coaster brake setup :(
35.jpg

Latest posts

Back