schwinn gurus ...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
picked this up ...crappy repaint ...missing guard ...knurled rims good n strait ,,,one og tire fenders r pretty nice ..
any ideas on make model year or anything ?? much appreciated !!!!

It's in good shape, that's the main thing. Look for a serial number on the left rear dropout by the rear axle, or under the cranks on the bottom bracket. Post it here, that will narrow it down.

rite on man ....i just havent got around to checkin that yet ....
i thought mayb someone would know ...some guys know what something is witout numbers ...
it is in good shape ..i couldnt pass it up ...
thnx

Look at the parts for clues. The adjustable cone on the headset is the type used in the very late 50's and early 60's. If it was original to the bike, and it's definitely a ballooner frame, my guess would be that it's a Wasp...the last ballooner Schwinn made, which died in '64. Serial number might confirm that. Gary

B607 said:
Look at the parts for clues. The adjustable cone on the headset is the type used in the very late 50's and early 60's. If it was original to the bike, and it's definitely a ballooner frame, my guess would be that it's a Wasp...the last ballooner Schwinn made, which died in '64. Serial number might confirm that. Gary

Well, here's your person who can do that! Ilikebikes

charliechaindrive said:
B607 said:
J
Well, here's your person who can d that! Ilikebikes
That's called a guess, and that's all it will be till its proved correct by a seriall number check.

:shock: I don't believe I've ever seen a Ballooner with that chrome trim on the fork. I thought that only existed for middleweights. How interesting!

In my years of buying/collecting I've run across many Schwinn Frankenbikes that people build and say are all orig, this one may be one of them. MAY BE!

Good eye RatSphinx. Now I'm fairly certain it's a Wasp. Same adjustable cone and chrome piece. The Wasp was the only ballooner made when Schwinn started putting the chrome piece on the forks in the early 60's. I rest my case. :p Gary
[img ][/img]

Did Wasps have HD spokes? It was the predecessor to the Heavy-Duti so I thought they did. The rear wheel could have been changed but it does not appear to have them (though I'm not certain it would have). I hate to play the devil's advocate but I'm just raising every question possible :lol:

Edited: It looks like Wasps did have ducktailed front fenders. The reference photo that was posted looks like it has the wrong truss rods and replacement fenders.

Hey mikesbikes, how about that serial number? :( Otherwise Jpromo is going to make me find another reference pic. :oops: adamtinkerer went and changed the fender and truss rods. Gary

B607 said:
Hey mikesbikes, how about that serial number? :( Otherwise Jpromo is going to make me find another reference pic. :oops: adamtinkerer went and changed the fender and truss rods. Gary

Ha, sorry Gary! I do think you nailed it--I'm with you on a Wasp. Any other cantilever frame would have been very difficult to confidently ID a model from but this one is possible because of the factors mentioned.

Ballooners were out of style for the kids by then so probably very few sold. Probably doesn't necessarily make it worth anymore but would be hard to find one like the red one in the pic. Gary

Latest posts

Back