Schwinn Heavy Duti Bomber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b072fc939703f73cea9d662bb89a631e.jpg

c3f5b82a594e5430c88783ad6a7426d9.jpg

I hate paint prep. 2015 mongoose organ donor

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Brakes I think, downhill bomber is the reference I remember. Klunker has to be coaster brake only and rigid for the races here.

I am trying to decide if I want to use new wheels and schwinn clunker 5 type hardware or lace my worksman drum and a bendix 2 speed manual into old hoops or use 78 moped drums front and rear on one or the other. Maybe braze bosses on the seat stays and use these mongoose brakes.

"Bomber"= singlespeed coaster only
"Hybrid"= front and rear handbrakes (rim or drum), and derailers (rear only or front and rear)
"Klunker"= any cruiser adapted for use offroad, including Bombers, Hybrids, and anything in between
Thanks for the lesson 808! I always thought that Klunkers were singlespeed coaster only but with knobby tires and bombers were the same but with more street orientated footwear...
I was way off...

Luke.

the only thing called a bomber when growing up in U.K was a raleigh Bomber,and I even had one like this but with chrome mudguards
the seat stays were bolted on if I recall
selling-10-3.jpg
That is nice!

Luke.

That is nice!

Luke.
I think I had mine when I was 13-14 years old (1984-85)I destickered mine(when your young you don't know about devalueing when you desticker)you just think its cool,mine already had chrome mudguards but I remember spray painting the ends gloss black into chrome fade,even back then I had the customizing bug:thumbsup:

Thanks for the lesson 808! I always thought that Klunkers were singlespeed coaster only but with knobby tires and bombers were the same but with more street orientated footwear...
I was way off...

Luke.

NP. Y'know, there seems to be some variation in the way these things are classified, but i basically defer to the Alan Bonds terminology....

a5885e2ebf4b5479e60fca01965c060e.jpg

The finish is why I was calling it a bomber actually .It is a klunker and I forgot I was saving it for my next build off bike. Oh well, I will find another one to use

"Bomber"= singlespeed coaster only
"Hybrid"= front and rear handbrakes (rim or drum), and derailers (rear only or front and rear)
"Klunker"= any cruiser adapted for use offroad, including Bombers, Hybrids, and anything in between

Looks like a fun project. What's the seatstay bridge look like? You might be able to run one of these:
http://porkchopbmx.com/Dia-Compe-BR-990-BOOMERANG-BMX-U-brake-adapter-plate-CHROME-100TU01.htm
1445030775490496356382.jpeg
Well, where did you find those? I have had them mixed up for and I never can get Deb Noble to give me a straight answer. I always refer to the race classes here. I can't use anything that was not available before 79 coaster brake etc.

Last edited:
I still think alan bonds spells clunker with a "c" for starters and " clunkers came first with coaster brakes on smoker hill or something. Bombers had hand brakes, front drums i.e. 78 moped, the old raleigh and whatever drum they had and hybrids have gears and reinforced frames i.e. mixte with a top tube etc., but I spent all day digging through UCI and was not really satisfied. Whatever the names are UCI would have the classes based on availability and time period. When Ross made a purpose built "mountain bike" that was the line

I still think alan bonds spells clunker with a "c" for starters and " clunkers came first with coaster brakes on smoker hill or something. Bombers had hand brakes, front drums i.e. 78 moped, the old raleigh and whatever drum they had and hybrids have gears and reinforced frames i.e. mixte with a top tube etc., but I spent all day digging through UCI and was not really satisfied. Whatever the names are UCI would have the classes based on availability and time period. When Ross made a purpose built "mountain bike" that was the line

Yeah he spells it with a "c", but check out this piece right here: http://clunkers.net/history.html

... the bikes used in Marin for offroad riding between 1976 and 1979. This time period saw the first clunker races, the rise of the hybrid and the introduction of the first mountain bikes; which signaled the end of the hybrids. The hybrids were all based on mild steel frames from the coaster brake one speed genre. Many were pre-war and some from the forties and fifties. Some of the riders considered the pre-war frames superior in quality and construction. The hybrid version of these bikes had upgraded stems, bars, seatposts, cranks, rims, seats, pedals and had drum brakes, gears, deraillers, shifters and brake levers added.

Competing on the downhill with the hybrids were the bombers. Bombers were generally the one and two speed coaster brake bikes. Many never got the front drum or rim brake upgrade that helped Joe Breeze and Otis Guy go so fast on theirs. They added a certain excitement to the visual spectacle but the only one that I know of that broke into the 4:30’s was ridden by Craig Weichel It seems certain that it was the front brake that made all the difference on the downhills.

Latest posts

Back