Schwinn Magalloy BMX rim questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a set of Schwinn Magalloy mags and the rear has one cracked spoke. I want to weld it back together and am wondering what these mags are made of. Are they just aluminum alloy? Should TIG welding with aluminum rod be the way to go?

Next question. What colors did these mags come in, and were they available as accessories for an early cantilever frame Scrambler? That is what I want to use them on. Someone has had to of done this before. Any opinions on this or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

WT

I believe they were magnesium? Dont hold me to it though. I have heard of people j.b. welding the spokes but not using an actuall welder.

Yeah I had thought of using JB Weld or one of the epoxies that can be powder coated. The big reason I want to weld is so I can powder coat. Some kind of magnesium alloy would make the most sense since they are called Magalloy wheels.

Anyone else have any info or possibly a Schwinn catalog with these in them as accessories? I will look up how or if magnesium can be welded.

Latest posts

Back