Schwinn S/N help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Just saw this guy posted on CL in my area. Wondering if anybody can help me date the bike so I can make a decision on whether or not to pick it up. My initial suspicion is that it's a Chicago-built 1980 frame. I could be wrong. If so, does this count as a "find" at $100? Just looking for more input on whether or not it's a good purchase.

Thanks!

3k53o43l95Y15O45U6b8haef8569202011c53.jpg

-=-

Here's the S/N:
Schwinn.jpg

I don't think the price is too bad for your neck of the woods. If you lived closer to the middle of the country is would be a little high.

PabloAntonio said:
What would be a reasonable price, then? I can definitely haggle with the guy. It's no prob for me.

If it needs tires, figure $30 off... if it's a complete bike in otherwise good condition that's a pretty fair price I'd say.

Good luck with it, I know you'll make it yours and enjoy it.

One of the last Typhoons, very cool.
--Rob

Here's my 80 Typhoon. I think I paid 65 for just the frame and forks, but I wanted that particular color and year Typhoon. I was amazed at how the finish shined up, the chrome and paint was very good on those Schwinns.

Take that bike for a spin, it should be rideable just as it is for $100. Whittle down the price by the little things wrong with it. Those don't look like the right fenders also.

30nawcg.jpg

i have to agree with cman and add that for your neck of the woods (norcal) thats actually a really good price. i've noticed norcal bikes for sale on craigslist are higher than here in l.a. but theres always exceptions and you've got one there. check the entire bike for bent rear stays (look at the rear wheel to see if its askew in the stays), bent forks from crashing head first (the head and forks should align like a single line), cracks in the welding (with your hands trying pulling apart the areas where the frame is welded), big dents, bent parts like a stem (no joke, i saw one bent on a bike for sale), missing elements like a missing kickstand. good luck and enjoy whatevere you've got planned.

Latest posts

Back