Schwinn Spoiler owners, I need your help!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'm currently working through some design 'challenges' on my current build and hoping my RRB brethren can come to my aid. The issue I'm trying to resolve is the rocker design for the front end.
My build thread:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49923&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Phantom+of+the+OCC

One of the 'inspiration' bikes for this build is the Schwinn Spoiler (I was hooked just sitting on one last year :mrgreen: ). While studying pictures of them I couldn't help but notice how the design of the rockers pushes the front wheel, not just forward, but also up (compared to the OCC Sting-Rays). This not only lengthens the wheelbase, but also provides additional clearance for the crankset (my design challenge) and a mounting point for the disc brake caliper (I'm going drum/band brakes, but still need an axle-centric mount).
Here's comparison of the two wheels laid on top of each other.
Spoiler_OCCwheeloverlap.jpg

So.....that takes me to my favor..... :roll: I'm asking for a Spoiler owner to trace a rocker for me to use as a reference. Due to some other design elements, I won't be copying them exactly, I'm just looking for size, and dropout references.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

PM me if you can lend a hand.

Thanks guys!

Cheers,
Dr. T

You could accomplish the same thing adding some rake to your fork. I know its not easy to cut and reweld the neck on a bike , but you could do like they do on a motorcycle and make a fork that has rake added to it. They just kick out the legs more at the bottom of a tripple tree....if that makes sense.

Fireproof,
Thanks, I'll respond to you later this morning.

Uncle Stretch,
Both are great ideas. I think I'll leave the headtube alone, I want to retain that aspect of the Schwinn frame. Altering the trees sounds interesting. I was noticing that the OCC does that. The lower tree is extended slightly to provide more rake to the fork...hmmm.....

Cheers,
Dr. T

Here's some photos for ya Dr. T . . . Hope they help!

View of the inboard-side of the left rocker.
Note the section that is milled in order to properly position the adapter for the disc brake caliper . . .
SpoilerForks005.jpg

The inboard-side of the right rocker . . . A mirror image that allows for the use of dual disc brakes!
SpoilerForks010.jpg

View from below . . .
SpoilerForks008.jpg

I bought a set of these for mine, had to do a little work to get them to fit but they look and work great, i dont run a front brake. Sulley

002-1.jpg

Those are hot! Pun intended!

I haven't done any work on the rockers in a while. Fireproof was a real friend and traced one from his Spoiler for me. I got as far as making copies and gluing them to cardboard for a mockup, then...............

I plan to head to the 'Cabin Fever' show this weekend, I'm sure I'll get plenty of motivation there to get this front end figgered out.

Thanks!

Dr. T

Latest posts

Back