Schwinn Stingray Junior?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is the difference between the the normal stingray and a junior? I just picked up what I believe is a very ratty sting ray project and found out that it was the junior model.

The Jr. was a slightly smaller frame and came with a full rear fender instead of the shortened stingray fender.

I was kind of disappointed with the sprocket being so small, I wanted to put a bigger sprocket on it for a torky wheelie filled ride but the chainstays give the small sprocket only like an inch clearance, not nearly enough for a beefy sprocket.

Might try a washer behind the sprocket, there's guys here that have put huge exercise bike sprockets on their rat rods.

LarzBahrs said:
That sounds like a good idea. I might just leave the original sprocket on for now. Are the crank arms also shorter?

yup, the bottom bracket is a little lower (for smaller kids with shorter legs), you could probably bump up the length but you may end up with a pedal scraper ... at least the pedals could double as a kickstand.

as far as wheelies go though, those should wheelie pretty easy for ya set up the way they are, just not high speed wheelies

so do i have a Stingray Junior?

so i'll jump on this thread...
is this the size diff on the chain guard?
guardmiss.jpg

here is the bike mocked up
redstingray.jpg

70's ser #
70singray.jpg

Frame dimentions

seat post tube from BB tube to top............................... 12"
chain stay fom BB tube to rear of drop out...................... 14"
seat stay............................................................. 14"
over all lenth from ft. of steer tube to back of rear drop outs 31"

is my frame a jr? or full size?

These are my measurements. Hope they help.
Outside of BB to top of seat tube 12"
Rear dropout to outside of BB 15"
Seat stay from dropout to seat tube 12"
Outside steer tube to outside rear dropout 32"
lowrider-1.jpg

Looks pretty close to what you have!

the hunt continues

so it looks like i have a regular stingray guard when i should be looking for a stingray jr chain guard.

is the lil chick schwinn a shrunk version of another schwinn stingray "chick" bike? slick chick?

can anyone out there set me up with a chain guard that will work on my stingray jr?

thanks for the geat posts!!! :D

Hey Kenji looks good, just so you know the numbers in the serial number have nothing to do with what year it was made, its the two letters in front of the numbers that decode the month and year made

Ty

Latest posts

Back