Schwinn suburban fillet braze

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone want to trade for this, or buy it?

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

No, that's all I got unfortunately . Are u interested, or know anything about this?

cman said:
Probably not fillet brazed. Schwinn used a process called Electro Forging on most of their bikesp. There are a few top end Schwinns were fillet brazed.

Here is an article on Electro Forging http://sheldonbrown.com/varsity.html

Schwinn's Fillet Brazing http://sheldonbrown.com/schwinn-braze.html

You are correct only bikes from the Super Sport up were brazed. The other difference is that those bikes were chro-moly while all others were high-tensil steel.

I had a suburban just like that but a womens version, I got it sand blasted and powdercoated and you can see were they ground the welds if you look real close.

They are bulletproof though!

what should i do with this? Maybe make it into a single speed with 700cc wheels, not sure, any suggestions?

I wouldnt waste my time putting one of those back together. I always sell my frames like that to guys that need the tubing to make recumbants or make fixies. YOu can buy them complete for 25 to 75 bucks why waste the time putting that back together? In the last three months I bought a almost mint racer with a large frame for 50 bucks, a deluxe Varsity with all the bells and whistles 50 bucks, another racer in very good conditon 35 bucks, a Collegiate 3speed coaster brake excellent condition 55 bucks I wouldnt waste the time or the money putting that back together, but thats just me. Too easy to find light weights for cheap.

Agreed, not fillet brazed. I just picked up a '71 Sports Tourer that is fillet brazed and once you see the difference in person, it's obvious. Tubes are much bigger on the FB bike as well as being chromolly.

They aren't completely worthless but if you don't have any of the other parts I would just sell it for scrap.

That's cool, the only thing is, I don't have the fork for it. Maybe a ratish single speed maybe. Not sure yet

Latest posts

Back