Schwinn Tall Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This one was made from three Schwinns! The whole bike is 100% Schwinn. The green Schwinn on the bottom had bent forks so I got a set from a yellow Schwinn. The top bike is a pink girls Schwinn and that yellow seat post brace is from the same bike I got the forks from. The brace was added after the seat tube bent on the first ride after going over a fair size bump. I had to heat up and bend the chain stay to clear the chain.

DSC00068.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

I had to add this short tube to mount the front derailer to. The fork was lengthened by cutting it off just below the threads and putting a section of pipe betewen and welding. The head tubes were lengthened/joined together by adding a section of pipe between the bottom bike head tube and the top bike head tube. This was all pretty tricky to align!

DSC00067.jpg

DSC00066-1.jpg

use the inside sproket on the chain ring and you should have been able to clear the triangle. tallbikes are weird like that you gotta play with em to get the chainline right.

If you've never ridden ta tall bike you should treat yourself because you WILL get more looks riding it than any other type of bike. . This one rides great. You wouldn't even know you were riding a tall bike if you didn't look down. It requires some technique though because you DON'T want to stop! Mounting and dismounting is made easy by having handy a pickup truck with its tailgate down. This bike has since been disassembled, sandblasted and primed. One of these days I will paint it white and re-assemble it with some new tires.

ahh all the ones ive made are single speeds. you had to get all silly with it hehe. i bet you have brakes too! scared? just kidding around. i love tallbikes.

A tall bike jousting competition? I like that idea but I'm not going to be the one riding it!!! Oh yeah, it does have brakes! LOL

basscadetz said:
you mean to tell me you other bike clubs dont do this?
the jousting has been going on for many years, I got a broken collarbone in 1995. My tallbike has 15 speeds, on my 3rd tire and 2nd wheel
3tallgear.jpg

the 8" crane bell works great for stopping cars at railroad crossings.
I used to break so many spokes in the rear wheel I would carry a tool for removing the freewheel and some spare spokes on the bike tours. The "bikers" were amazed when I would replace spokes on the side of the road, just like a flat tire.

Latest posts

Back