Schwinn "The Sting" BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I havnt been on here in a while...been really busy. Anyways, I picked up an old Schwinn "The Sting" BMX at a garage sale this weekend for 5 bucks. I thought I was just getting a parts bike, but when I looked it over it was in pretty good shape, so I decided to keep it as is. I took the number off of the head badge (3011) and learned it was built on the 301st day in either 1981 or 1991. I googled the bike name and found a picture of a 1981 model exactlly like mine. I know the bike is definately worth more than 5 bucks, but did I stumble across a real jewel? I couldnt find much on these bikes. Whats the story? Here's a picture

25503_401596110578_755675578_4969051_551682_n.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Im no BMX expert but I think these were the cream of the crop in the early 80s, maybe made by the Waterford WI plant (made the paramount road bikes). as far as value id GUESS north of $200, maybe a lot north too. like i said i dont know much about BMX bikes so take this with a grain of salt. cool little bike though !!!

They typically fetch anywhere from $300 -$1200 depending on the condition and the components.

I've watched several get close to the $1000 mark on Ebay.

His appears to be all original and even the decals are still in tact so it's definitely a sweet survivor. :wink:

I don't follow them on eBay, but It's a great find. Rat Rod seems correct.

If you eBayed it, it should bring a quick 3-5 hundred- at least.
Not a bad turn around for a measly $5.

Late eighties they did a run of sting with the flared tubes like that as well as the predators,but your rear dropouts are different .Maybe you have a predator.Does your rear dropout have a serial number on one side and the other have a date code?HAHA yeah I was bored and browsing!!!Man we've seen some really cool bikes come through here!!

I know that this is an old post. However, I and a number of Sting collectors have been working on a reference website. I thought I would include the link here for reference.

Hope you enjoy the site. There is a bunch of information about the bike and close ups pictures of things like decals and the parts used to build the bike:

http://www.stingbmx.com/Welcome.html

Latest posts

Back