Schwinn Tornado rat and Copper Chopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up last year -- it's changed a bit, I'm still not happy with my attempt at bending the seat post, but I like the look pretty well and it rides much better with the fat cruiser wheels and tires. I used my Dremel tool to trim the fenders (used a sharpie and a paper cup to draw the arc before cutting), and I like the way they turned out.

DSCN0306.jpg

DSCN0307.jpg

The Copper Chopper started out as a 24 inch FIrestone 500 frame I scored with a couple other bikes at the 2007 All Ford Carlisle show for really cheap money http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2033

I wanted to keep the proportions right with this so I found an adult sized banana seat on ebay and added the huge ape hangers, although it was hard to make them work because whoever made these didn't make them to fit a standard goose neck so I had to find a shim for it. I did the frame in black primer and used some metallic copper I had laying around on the rims and tank. I tried using the narrow chrome fenders but they don't really work even after I tried widening them with a baseball rolled around the inside of the fenders, so they're probably coming off. I haven't ridden this except in the driveway but I love to look at it.

DSCN0308.jpg

DSCN0309.jpg

how did you go about using the paper cut to bob the fenders. gotta bob me a set here shortly for my klunker. thanks

Easy E

I used the open end of a cup that was big enough to be wider than the fender and traced the arc from the cup onto the fender with a sharpie. You'll probably have to do some of the arc then angle the cup in place to trace the last ends of the line. Any cup or rounded edge that you can flex a little should help with getting your arc onto the fender. Try it with a pencil or grease pencil or chalk first and see if you like the line. I can still see some of the sharpie marks on the fender.

7umebazu.jpg
I'm back on here after a few years away from bikes. Here's an update on the Schwinn Tornado: original seat painted and recovered with leather I saved from a chair I reupholstered; rear rack stripped and painted to match (still need to do some faux patina for a closer match); Nexus 3-speed coaster brake wheel set and brick red tires added to deal with hills. I'm loving it way it rides and looks.

Latest posts

Back