Schwinn Town and Country 24 inch Tricycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Can anyone tell me what is the tire size needed for this tricycle. Just bought this afternoon complete except for tubes and tires.
Any help would be great. Dont want to buy wrong size and be stuck with them.

Being that these are schwinn rims I'm afraid that they could be something not standard, rim is very skinny. Building up for my older sister who has MS but still wants to ride with myself and my kids. So skinny tires will be the way to go, belief that will make for easier pedaling. thanks for the response my friend.

From what I can see on the Bay, 24 x 1 3/8 might be the size needed, will pull front rim and see about taking to LBS to get size info and or advice.

Being that these are schwinn rims I'm afraid that they could be something not standard, rim is very skinny. Building up for my older sister who has MS but still wants to ride with myself and my kids. So skinny tires will be the way to go, belief that will make for easier pedaling. thanks for the response my friend.
I think they have to be exactly 24 x1 1/4
you cant go with anything else Kenda makes these tires

I hope you get the right tires for it. Its great that you're getting it set up for your sister, I hope she gets lots of use and enjoyment out of it.

Originals are 24X1&3/8 with the Schwinn specific rims. Complete wheels will fit up to 24X 2.125 with room for adjustment on the early style rear section. I have one with the 24 X 2.125 balloon tires on the back. Make sure the rear frame is straight!

I tried some bigger (but not 3") 24" tires and could not get any adjustment on the wheels.

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Attachments

• 59 X82 Tornado 24-16.jpg
    59 X82 Tornado 24-16.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
Really looks sick on that trike of yours, In the morning I will pull a tire off of my worksman trike that is set aside for now. Tire is 24 x 1.95 if it fits as you say and I trust it does that should give me what I need to know 24 x 2.125 is a large as i wanted to go anyway. Thanks to everybody to answered.

I think what rat royale was saying is that he replaced the rims so he could use different size tires. If they're 24 X 1 3/8 none of the decimal sized tires (2.125, 1.95 etc.) will fit. You can get 24 X 1 3/8 tires. If they're 24 X 1 3/4 then that's a different fractional size that is Schwinn only for S7 rims.

I think what rat royale was saying is that he replaced the rims so he could use different size tires. If they're 24 X 1 3/8 none of the decimal sized tires (2.125, 1.95 etc.) will fit. You can get 24 X 1 3/8 tires. If they're 24 X 1 3/4 then that's a different fractional size that is Schwinn only for S7 rims.

I thought they would be 24 x 1 3/8

I went out and looked at my Town and Country Trike they are schwinn rims and have 24 x 1 1/4, possibly they take both sizestrike 006.jpg

Ok looks like I really misunderstood, seemed to good to be true but possibly would have gave it a try. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Last edited:
I had noticed during a quick ebay search last night, that alot of tires had both 24 1 1/4 & 24 1 3/8 listed at same time on some tires. So my guess was that they could work on these rims. Which apparently are S5 rims. Thanks Chad T for the link saw similar tires on various websites. Will look for similar tire but hopefully find in Whitewall. Shouldn't be too much of a problem. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

Sorry - I was remiss. I have one with standard size wheels/tires that is my wife's doggy hauler. It has S5 (Schwinn specific sized) wheels. Decimal size tires fit standard wheels, fractional sizes are specific to certain rim sizes normally.
Here's the other one..
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Attachments

• 69 AT1-2 Town & Country.JPG
    69 AT1-2 Town & Country.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 285
My wife's trike is a Torker, but just to mention it, I replaced the 24x1.75 tires with 24x2.4 Maxxis Holy Rollers. She's not a strong cyclist at all (we often go so slow I can't even balance!) and she doesn't notice any increase in pedaling effort. But I noticed an increase in how cool it looks!

I think the only bikers who get any measurable benefit from ultra-skinny tires are racers running at speeds higher than these trikes are ever going to go. The extra coolness of fatter ones can be measured fairly accurately.

Last edited:
JS: bless you and your sister. I hope this gives her some joy and fun.

RR: Sweet lookin' trikes!

I think that once you find the right tire size, what you really wanna do is make sure you get tires that can take some pressure. This is not only for the lower rolling resistance, but for a firmer ride. On my little 20 inch trikes, I find that soft tires accentuate the phenomenon of "trike wobble." You get a little bounciness out of softer tires, and it's not synched between the two back wheels. The left one is rebounding while the right one is compressing, and you get a perplexing side to side swaying effect.

It's not a big deal, but perhaps this may be more distressing to your sister because of her health problems?

Nice, hard, high pressure tires seem to reduce this effect significantly for me.

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words, I did notice that the tires I have researched have what to me are very high tire pressures i.e. 75-80 psi. hope to get some ordered within the next week or so. Looking forward to completing this all loading up for the drive down to Houston to deliver.

Latest posts

Back