Schwinn Town and Country Tandem help..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this bike last week from friend's mom. I didn't have time to do much research before buying it, but figured I'd take a shot on it.
The serial number is stamped into the bottom bracket. It is t004590. I'm assuming by the fact that it is on the bottom bracket, that it is 1948-1952, but I am unable to locate the number in any databases I've looked at so far.
I'm just trying to get an idea of the year and value of the bike. It appears to be all original except for the seats ( which hopefully I will be receiving once they are located) It's in pretty good shape overall. Anyone have any ideas?

imagejpeg952.jpg

imagejpeg952_2.jpg

imagejpeg952_3.jpg

imagejpeg952_4.jpg

imagejpeg952_5.jpg

imagejpeg952_6.jpg

imagejpeg952_7.jpg

CycleTruck said:
That looks like a Raleigh built bike to me. Not sure if there's serial numbers available for Raleigh or not. Nice tandem!

What does that mean exactly? Is that the location of where it was made, or a different manufacturer that made the bike for Schwinn...? Sorry, complete beginner here... :oops:

How does that affect the value?
Also, how does not having the original seats affect the value?
The bike will honestly just sit in my garage and collect dust so I would like to see it go to a good home, but on the same token I do want to get what it is worth from selling it.

Is there anything else on the bike that I can look for to help nail down exactly when it was made or if its a "Raleigh built bike" as you say?
Thanks! :!:

Can you post a pic of the serial number? The "T" could be an "F". Later '50s on that Schwinn logo. it looks like it has non-stock fenders hence the Raleigh reference along with the stock chainguard.

I will take a couple of pics of the serial number in the morning. Man, all this non stock parts makes me wonder if I paid too much for it.. :shock:

That frame style was called "lady back". The bike was called "Bicycle Built For Two". The newer tandems were called "Schwinn Twinn" and both chain rings were on the same side. Interesting that your bike has a "Town and Country" decal on it. Later on, in the 60's, they used that name for the 3 wheeled bike for hauling groceries. I almost think both the Schwinn decals and the Town and Country decal was added later. They just don't seem right on that year of bike to me. Gary

Do a google image search for "Schwinn Town & Country Tandem". Yours is not the only one made but I didn't see a pic of one with peaked fenders, just chromed/ stainless, or no fenders. Don't fret yet.

Schwinn named the "Bicycle Built For Two" model in 1963 and 1964. Before that, just "Schwinn" went on the guard, although the Ads used the term "Bicycle Built For Two". Yours is not one of them, yours is a nicer Schwinn Tandem, Town and Country is the correct model. It is the same male front, female rear configuration as the Bicycle Built For Two though. The curved seat tube on the rear and cottered cranks are giveaways to the Town and Country. Schwinn named their tandems Schwinn Twinn beginning in 64. My tandem's serial number isn't all there, but it has been said the tandems numbers began with a T and were harder to date because of that. I'll do some more research during some free time at work today. Here's a 61 Town and Country, looking at the 50's illustrations, only the word "Schwinn" was on the big chrome chain guard. On many Schwinns, you can find a manufacture date stamped on the inside of the cranks, but this bike is cottered, so Schwinn may not have had a date on those.

20ie64m.jpg

That's definitely a European manufactured bicycle. Cottered cranks, skinny peaked fenders, enclosed chain guards, that style seat and swept forward, crowned forks are indicative of European manufacture. After some research, I've found that it may be a Rensch of France, manufactured for Schwinn. Most Rensch tandems had that same curved rear tube. Check out the rear seat tube on this bike:

http://buyvintage1.wordpress.com/page-185-1946-rensch-paris-cycles-swb-tandem/

All I could dig up was the name english Brampton name as the manufacturer of the cranks, probably the chainwheels too. That name should be stamped on the crank arms. There's a possibility the hubs are Sturmey Archer and may have a 2 digit date stamp on the hub shell.

man o man :shock:
I'm going to examine the bicycle thoroughly tomorrow and see I if i can find any other markings or numbers. Will get back to you guys soon!

CycleTruck said:
That's definitely a European manufactured bicycle. Cottered cranks, skinny peaked fenders, enclosed chain guards, that style seat and swept forward, crowned forks are indicative of European manufacture. After some research, I've found that it may be a Rensch of France, manufactured for Schwinn. Most Rensch tandems had that same curved rear tube.

Schwinn never had any frames manufactured for them. Lots of parts-hubs, derailers, brakes and cranks. This frame has evidence of hand brazed fillet joints typical of a Schwinn, especially at the bottom bracket. Here is the patent for this frame. http://www.google.com/patents/USD140677 Scwhinn just copied what other builders were doing overseas.

AZ- You may be able to find a date on the front stem too.

cman said:
CycleTruck said:
That's definitely a European manufactured bicycle. Cottered cranks, skinny peaked fenders, enclosed chain guards, that style seat and swept forward, crowned forks are indicative of European manufacture. After some research, I've found that it may be a Rensch of France, manufactured for Schwinn. Most Rensch tandems had that same curved rear tube.

Schwinn never had any frames manufactured for them. Lots of parts-hubs, derailers, brakes and cranks. This frame has evidence of hand brazed fillet joints typical of a Schwinn, especially at the bottom bracket. Here is the patent for this frame. http://www.google.com/patents/USD140677 Scwhinn just copied what other builders were doing overseas.

AZ- You may be able to find a date on the front stem too.

Nice find!

Sorry I haven't had a chance to examine the bike more closely yet, had a family emergency over the weekend. Hope to get to it tomorrow and finally be able to nail down exactly what this baby is :)

As far as I know, or could dig up these bikes ran from 1960-1963...

As the previous posting of an advertisement reads...

Frame: Short coupled lady back
Forks: Heavy duty tandem design
Crank: Three peice cottered type
Wheels: Heavy duty tandem 26" x 1 1/2" S-4 rims (look for a stamping on the rims)
Brakes: Large flange expander front and rear
Tires: Schwinn Hurricane 26" x 1 1/2"

No. T15 / Size 26" / Town and Country Tandem / Shipping weight 80 lbs.

Note: All Schwinn Tandems are equippedwith free-wheel and large flange expander brakesfpr maximum safety and dependability.
3 speed derailleur gears are optional at extra cost. Gear hubs or coaster brakes will not be supplied as factory equipment.

COLORS: All Schwinn Colors

* end quote

I have a Schwinn book which tells a story of a women who's husband was a blind Korean war veteran wanting to ride, but the bike was designed...man up front / lady in back...She wrote Schwinn executive Al Fritz about her trouble....he sent a truck to her house and refitted the bike...and then the "Twinn" was released in 1964 as a low top tube bike front and back...Next generation...All american parts....1 peice cranks...1 sided chains / sprockets
HOWEVER...From my own findings there are a very limited # of 1964 Twinns (next generation) that were produced with a high bar front....these hold a high value and are very rare > 1964 only.

This book also makes a reference of this era, on Schwinn stepping away from purchasing parts and peices from abroad (Switzerland)...
Dealers / Franchises were asking for bikes manufactured entirely from domestic parts and accessories....hence the August 1961 release of the "American" model.

I'm just a die-hard Schwinn Enthusiast (since 2 wheeling) and I've owned a few tandems now from 1966 1967 and 1973...
My educated guess is your bike fits 1960-1963 and a serial # might help us help you better...is it on the rear axle drop-out / bracket....or the pedal crank tube ?

Hope any of this was insightful

2 more cents....everthing on your bike is period correct, right down to the "Wald" front basket...
Only thing thing that looks replaced are those pedals....they shouldn't have reflectors in them....not until 1971
Having a 3 peice crank probably puts you @ 9/16" threaded pedals too...lots of luck in finding 2 vintage pairs of those that match...all of the Schwinn 1 peice cranks use 1/2" threaded pedals.

P.S...LOVE THAT BIKE....AWESOME FIND

in 64, the high bar front was the "Bicycle Built for Two", available in 63 and 64. The Town and Country was a more refined tandem.
I have a 63, and it is a hassle getting over the bar in front. I got it as just a crusty frame forks and hard seats back in the 80's. I recently painted it red and still need to put it together as it is now the time of year for riding.

2sb0489.jpg

Latest posts

Back