Schwinn? Worth fixing?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked this up from a garage sale over the weekend. I can't decide if it's worth my time and effort to try and fix it, if even possible. What you think? I believe it's a 24".
59c87eab13927d89adfc63abc7df1de9.jpg
684ee437d92a9415f47e026c278afc6f.jpg

I think that frame is worth the effort if it's a frame you're really into.... That's my favorite Schwinn frame of all-time, or maybe just my favorite post-war Schwinn....either way, if I found it for a dollar, I'd build it.

If you decide it's more work than it's worth to you, don't scrap it. You could easily flip it for a modest profit to the right person.

Spray some PB Blast and try clamping the seat post to a table vise and useing the frame as leverage, turn the frame back and forth to loosen the seat post free..Hopefuly this will do the job..
I've had good luck doing it this way on stuck seat posts..

Last edited:
It's a keeper for sure. It looks like a 26" frame, the tire should have a size on it. The stem doesn't look like a Schwinn stem, it looks like a run of the mill kind, so it was probably forced in there. If Araya51's method doesn't free it, I would put a big pipe wrench on the end and try to hammer it up off the frame. If that didn't work, I would cut it off close to the frame, not cutting any of the frame, then using a hacksaw blade, slice it on the inside until you cut through it. That would be tedious to say the least, but would leave the frame in as good of shape as it can be. If the stem is only a few inches long, that would sure help, but the usual 7 or 8 inch length may be stuck in there.

That frame is a beauty! One of my favorite Schwinns. With that much damage to the seat post and seat tube, I'd cut it off flat at the top tube, and weld in another seat tube behind it. That would kick back my seat a few inches. :thumbsup:

Kind of like what I did here, only not so extreme, just a couple inches back:
IMG_2755_zps2137198e.jpg

I picked this up from a garage sale over the weekend. I can't decide if it's worth my time and effort to try and fix it, if even possible. What you think? I believe it's a 24".
59c87eab13927d89adfc63abc7df1de9.jpg
684ee437d92a9415f47e026c278afc6f.jpg
I'm digging this frame - chopper fodder indeed! :cool:

Good start! There are many ways to mount a seat. Once or twice I've even wrapped a hacksaw blade with tape on one end and cut a slot in a hollow seat post down the length of it to get it loose.

If the post won't come out, you can always try to pound it into the frame. Cut it off flush and even. Locate another Schwinn post. Use it to pound the damaged post down into the frame. This method assumes that the stuck post is a correctly sized post and isn't an incorrect post that already been pounded into the frame.

Another possibility: I believe the solid pre-war posts shaped like "L"s or "7"s have the same outside diameter as the inside diameter of the post-war posts. Cut the damaged post off flush, file the inside round if needed, cut a line down the back of it, bang the frame metal back into place, put a seat post clamp on, and insert the pre-war post.

Yeah, it's for sure a 26" frame.

-Geoff

I wish I could find one like that for $1, people want $100 for that around here!

Latest posts

Back