Schwinn year help....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 y/o boy is riding without trainning wheels and I was thinking of building him a bike for xmas. I got a Schwinn frame @ a car sweap meet and the # on it is SG008755 can anyone give me any info on this frame? Year etc... Any info will help, I'm sanding the frame now and will post before and after photos after paint... Thanks for all the help.

Nathan "your brother in rat"

All I have is a list for the Chigago Schwinn's and I didn't see anything on there that starts with SGxxxx. What vintage does it look like? If its newer, it may be a foreign Schwinn (post 1980 or so).

Thanks man. Ya i'm guessing its something like that, But this guy from another site is gonna send me this chart that says thst "s" means it was made in Mississippi and they only did that for like '55 thru "68 or something, when I get it I will post here. Again thanks for taking the time.

Have a great day
Nathan

Hi Nathan,

Where is the serial number located? Front of frame by the Schwinn badge? Is the Schwinn badge a proper Chicago style screwed-on badge or is it a stick-on type?

A lot of the bikes were Taiwanese, from the mid 80s to early 90s, and the G could stand for Giant, who was making a lot for Schwinn at the time.

A picture of the frame would help with ID. I'm assuming since it's for a little guy that it's a 16" or 20" bike, but even with just the Chicago bikes there's a good number of variations.

Look also on the headbadge itself, see if there are 4 tiny numbers stamped vertically near the middle of it. This would help date it and if they are there, I'll explain how.

Most importantly, have fun with it and get your boy out there riding!

--Rob

Latest posts

Back