SCHWINNG

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been sorting through a rather cumbersome stash of parts for several weeks prior to May 1. The parts I picked dictated what style of bike I would build: It turns out it'll be a street strandie/klunker/bomber type of build. I had a choice of three frames, each of which is interesting in its own right:

A really fluid, curvy GT cruiser frame; OR
20190427_144708.jpg

This powdercoated 1953/54 Monark Super DeLuxe beauty; OR
20190427_143710.jpg

this very complete, highly original 1953 or 1957 Schwinn Spitfire, which has languished untouched in my storage unit for the past two years
20190422_141221.jpg

Since it's just been sitting for so long, it's my choice for this buildoff. I will save all the original parts for its next owner. I'm super excited about this build, hence the name: SCHWINNG! Gotta strip it down now.

Attachments

• 20190427_144708.jpg
    20190427_144708.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Nice bike! My research shows '53 Spitfires have a curved middle bar (like the Monark) and skiptooth. It's what I'm building and different from your straight bar. Maybe you are correctly guessing '57.

Carl.

SD is in the house! Really like your frame choice (and a pretty good 2nd and 3rd option too!) and your build idea.

Watching this one.... RaT oN~!

After bombing down a hill, I'll need to go back up. I'll just kick back once, she'll drop into "low," and pedal back up. Thank you Bendix, for enabling me to do so, for keeping my SCHWINNG cable-free, and for bringing back fond memories of my '59 Chevy Biscayne with Powerglide.
View attachment 93995

I have a '65 Impala with a Powerglide, and I just built up my first bike with a Bendix kickback and I love it. I totally agree; the kickback is definitely a similar experience to the Powerglide.

This is looking good , all three frames are cool but I think you made the right choice. I almost went with a Klunker build my self . But a week before the build off I found a pretty cool bike so change of plans .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Schwinn frame talks to me then the Monarch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powerglide; sounds like a good name for a build.

Anyhow, I have some good parts choices for this project:

Bought this a year or so ago, and I just added the original Schwinn grips
20190502_064941.jpg
20190502_065013.jpg

Now I have to use a stem with a detachable clamp. This should work fine.
20190502_065400.jpg

Bought this leather saddle cheap on eBay a couple of months ago. They lied, it aint leather, but good enough. The attached seat post is a dandy from eBay; 13/16" to fit an old Schwinn with a 7/8" top to fit modern seats.
20190502_072346.jpg

The only difficult choice for me is "which fork?"
20190502_070356.jpg

Yeah, it looks good and goes with the vibe of the build.
20190502_135343.jpg

Of course, Schwinn had its own proprietary head set size, so I had to work through that. Finally found the right caged bearings at our local non-profit bike shop. Ran into another forum member, Whizzeltooth (Eric,) who was picking up vintage parts. He said he may be joining us. I hope so.

Last edited:
That looks great. I really like that GT frame. I think I will look for one to build in the future.

Latest posts

Back