Scwhinn Suburban for her

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So let me start out by saying I didn't originally post this thread here because I thought it wasn't enough of a "rat rod". I decided to transfer it over because I posted it in the vintage thread on Bikeforums and got chewed out. Anyway my girlfriend always makes jokes about "so your going to paint this one pink?" and "when are you going to build me a bike?". So, Christmas and our 1 year is coming up so I figured it would be a good time to build her a bike. I picked up a chestnut 10 speed suburban with the Front freewheel system and decided that this would be the bike. I also remembered that she said that she wants to build a bike with me some day so I came up with this idea. I will get the frame and forks painted, buy all the new parts it needs, and then give her the bike in pieces. I'm going to wrap up each part and figure out what order to give them to her. I plan to get the frame and forks sandblasted and powder coated a darker chocolate brown. I am doing a sort of Neapolitan theme of brown, white, and pink.
her she is (the bike not my GF)
IMG_8790.jpg

IMG_8788.jpg

IMG_8787.jpg

IMG_8786.jpg

IMG_8785.jpg

IMG_8783.jpg

forgot to mention part of the deal is that we will build the bike together and update this thread as progress comes along on her first built bike. I have already ordered all the parts

Pink:
cables
Oury grips
Tires
Seat with black too that says "Ride like a girl"
White:
riser bars
stem
pedals

That build is cool. I wanted to do that type of pink but it was harder to find cables in a light pink.

So all the parts came in the mail the other day and it was like an early Christmas. As much as I love old things I also love the look of new parts. It turns out that I forgot to get a couple things, a bell, basket, and brake pads. Also the riser bars I bought are fixie style and really narrow so I don't think I will be using those.
IMG_8847.jpg

IMG_8844.jpg

IMG_8842.jpg

IMG_8848.jpg

why did they chew you out on Bikeforums?? This is looking like it's going to be sweet. They can be a snotty bunch over there. You'll never find that here.

Motopecane said:
I got the tires from http://www.junkyrustybikes.com and yes they will work I test fitted them already. From what I can tell this is about a 1980 schwinn so it's not made in the U.S. and uses standard 27inch wheels

It sure looks like an American made frame, Schwinn offered foreign bikes, but still made them here, in Chicago until 1983. Schwinn 27 inch is the same as standard 27 inch, they didn't make an odd size like their other tires.

Motopecane said:
I got the tires from http://www.junkyrustybikes.com and yes they will work I test fitted them already. From what I can tell this is about a 1980 schwinn so it's not made in the U.S. and uses standard 27inch wheels

you got the tires from a chicken and ribs joint? i think your link is supposed to be .net not .com. :lol:

Latest posts

Back