Sears 5 speed Banana

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this bike today, sold a bike, used money to buy this bike. Its a 24' sears 5 speed banana seat bike. Anyone have any info about it? like what its missing and what not?

Badge says Simpsons sears and its made in Japan lol

It rides very well besides the lack of brakes lol

Simpsons Store info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpsons_(department_store)

4998817938_1c0a826c90_z.jpg

Not a Spyder like in those ads. different - imported - frame.

I've seent he Japan bikes with the odd rear fender that does not go all the way tot he front of the stays, same as yours. I have a 20" like that.

Definately a cool bike, unusual, especially the 5 speed.

Proberly has to do with the fact its in canada. I noticed alot of bikes here are cottered crankls and americans are one piece cranks. proberly couldn't get the american models here so these where made or something lol

I know this bike very well. My older brother had one years ago and I still have the frame and stick shift.

This is a Simpsons-Sears (Canada) Spyder V (5). We got ours in 1969. I believe they had this in the '69 and '70 catalogues. The original price for this was $59.88. We purchased it in Ottawa Ontario. I have a low res image from the Summer catalogue but I can't seem to upload it.

Here are the things that are missing:
- chrome chain guard with a 'Spyder V' decal
- rear reflector, about 3" mounted on the sissy bar under the seat
- diamond shaped backrest made of the same material as the seat
- front brake assembly (it's just like the back brake)
- plastic yellow handlebar tape with matching end plugs - the end plugs have a tightening screw in the centre

You have a very nice and extremely rare Japanese muscle (hi rise) bike. They are incredibly difficult to find. I hope you have fun on yours, I hope to get mine on the road in the not too distant future.

Latest posts

Back