sears austrian badged frame ?? what do i have here ??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, got an oddity , need the experts help here -considering using it as my build off bike but need more info first- I LOVE THE LOOK OF A LUGG'D FRAME !!!

009_zps220c1949.jpg

013_zpsc2c108a4.jpg

its a sears bike, headbadge says made in austria, i assume the head badge is rivited on ??

- the back frame says "ESGE" made in germany , "LIZENZ PLETSCHER " .....serial numbers read as follows - 2 of them ,

- first is 503 47 3580

- second is 3412542

016_zpsf0bca3ed.jpg

both on the bottom of crank

the rear plate looks like this

022_zpsa9748444.jpg

help to identify this would be nice was found fully dressed , covered in a mound of horse dung, hay , mud , ect .. at a farm auction , in a barn in croton , ohio - we bought a big lot of bikes that day , all covered in crud and goo, and tossed to rot away in a barn a long time ago ......help , LOL

how it looked when we got it home after digging it out of the pile - had a stermy archer 3 speed- if i want to go single speed can i still use the stock front ring as it is a single??
Picture285_zps5b49dbab.jpg

Last edited:
dont this decal look like a pool que sticker??? LOL

i assume this bike is late 60's early 70's ???

014_zpsa2c22a2e.jpg

Most made in Austria Sears bikes were of the Steyr-Daimler-Puch variety. I would start searching on that and see where it gets you.

I have a Polish Tyler brand bike that has that same sprocket and lugged frame...search on that next. Tyler's might have come from the same factory, it was a Polish brand, but I don't know where they sourced their bikes from.

Also, I believe Esge was a German company that made accessories like brakes and center stands, and that bracket text may just refer to the bracket itself, not the whole bike.

I got the same Sears made in Austria, a couple of days ago.
The only difference is that it has a 3 speed internal hub "Sears" and the shifter is "Sears" too.
Probably late 60's, early 70's
Marius

I had one, only in black. A one speed wheel will work with that chain wheel. 26 x 1 3/8. Before 1963, they were J C Higgins named, but the same lightweight Austrian made bike.
73f5lv.jpg

UPON FURTHER INSPECTION OF THE BAG O PARTS THAT WERE STRIPPED OFF THIS BIKE WHEN IT CAME IN , IT WAS RUNNING A 5 SPEED SHIMANO "LARK" REAR DERAILER

It may be a replacement crank set, it looks different from the other chainrings I've seen on the Austrian Sears bikes. In fact it looks just like the one on my folder, but it's not original so I think it's it's from a Hercules or other English cottered bike.
xll8b4.jpg

As to your question on the cranks, each arm has a cotterpin attaching it to the crank. The chain ring is attached permanently to the arm. The bearings may be the loose kind, so be ready to catch them in a bucket or something when you disassemble it.

I had one, only in black. A one speed wheel will work with that chain wheel. 26 x 1 3/8. Before 1963, they were J C Higgins named, but the same lightweight Austrian made bike.
73f5lv.jpg
Funny, my daily rider, built from trials and many errors....sure resembles these style bikes!

O.p., avoid the rush, keep the 3 speed unless it's dead. The price of chain and freewheel will make a 3 speed cheap to own and maintain. Switching it out for a single, will work but sure is boring!

I see now in the first pic, it was originally a 5 speed, the shifter looks original so it probably came that way. Are the wheels salvageable? I've seen a dozen or so of these bikes, never a 5 speed, all were 3 speeds. The chain wheel may not accept the chain a single speed would use, I'd check it with a chain first. Other options would be a 3 speed, but you'll have to get the shifter with it, or use a 2 speed kickback or automatic 2 speed hub and not have to run a shift cable or shifter. My black bike cleaned up very well. Hopefully you can bring back that blue paint. All I did was a good cleaning and waxing with regular car wax.

It may be a replacement crank set, it looks different from the other chainrings I've seen on the Austrian Sears bikes. In fact it looks just like the one on my folder, but it's not original so I think it's it's from a Hercules or other English cottered bike.
xll8b4.jpg

As to your question on the cranks, each arm has a cotterpin attaching it to the crank. The chain ring is attached permanently to the arm. The bearings may be the loose kind, so be ready to catch them in a bucket or something when you disassemble it.
- can i replace the bearings with caged ones ?

I think so. Take the spindle and bearing cups with you to the bike shop and make sure they fit. They may already be caged. I usually clean the loose ones and the grease holds them in place while I reassemble the cranks. Get some replacement cotter pins while you're at it.

this is mine

Latest posts

Back