Sears Chief Frame Variations: 1915-17

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted two photos in my build thread of Sears Chief Motorbikes that were listed as made in 1915. My initial reaction is it appears that nearly every Sears Chief I've encountered on the internet was made in 1915. Reason being is I've never seen the year verified via serial number or any identifying factors unique to the bike during the supposed year it was made. This was cause for me to wonder if I'd ever be able to narrow down the year of my Sears Chief. Lucky for me, I stumbled across some very valuable and insightful information about this bike on the Classic & Antique Bicycle Exchange a.k.a. The CABE - http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showth...919-Sears-Chief-Documentation-amp-Bike-Thread - and had the luxury of looking at Sears Chief ads from 1915-1919.

The bike on the left is from a 1915 ad, and the bike on the right is from a 1916 ad. Right off the bat, you'll recognize that the pulley for the 3 speed cable on both frames is located on the top bar, and that the top and bottom bars on both frames appear to be parallel. The darts on the seat post mast of both frames, though hard to tell in the 1916 ad, are side by side to one another. However, there's one, subtle difference between the two frames. The top and bottom bars of the 1916 frame appear to be slightly farther apart.

Here's my frame. I was unable to find the year via serial number, which leaves me to rely heavily on physical attributes to narrow down the year it was built. As of now, I'm leaning toward 1915 but here's what I'm curious to know. Which ad do you think best resembles the year my frame was made?
1111111.jpg

The bike in the middle right is from a 1917 ad, which highlights the year when modifications were made to the frame and paint design. Unlike the 1915 & 16 frames, the pulley has been mounted to the seat post mast instead of the top bar. Also, the top and bottom bars do not appear to be parallel, and the point where the bottom bar meets the seat post mast appears to be lower in comparison to earlier frames. The darts on the seat post mast are longer and do not appear to be side by side to one another as well. This now leads me to an interesting observation I discovered a few days ago about photos of a Sears Chief that I recently posted in my build thread.

According to http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle176,the Sears Chief in two of the photos below was originally built in 1915. Looking at the photo on the bottom left, you'll see the pulley mounted to the seat post mast, and it appears in the photo on the top right, at least from my vantage point, that the top and bottom bars are not parallel just like the frame in the 1917 bike ad. The darts on the seat post mast also are lengthened and do not appear to be side by side to one another just like the frame in the 1917 bike ad.

So what does this all mean? Is it possible that the Sears Chief in the photos above was made in a year later than 1915? There are other variables to consider before coming to that conclusion, and it's one I'm not going to make since I've never seen this bike up close as well as the fact that I'm not an expert. However, it's definitely a possibility that should give one a moment of pause and should never be ruled out.

Re: Sears Chief Identifying Info. (Frame Variations)

You already know more about them than most "experts"! That is completely awesome that you have one! -Adam :mrgreen:

Re: Sears Chief Identifying Info. (Frame Variations)

Now that you know what it is, what are you going to do with it? 1915...way before my time. My oldest is a '39. Gary

I have done a lot of research into these and posted some of it on the CABE at:

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread ... ike-Thread

Be leary of the frame and other items in the ads being different. The ads are not exactly what was manufactured by Davis Sewing Machine Company for Sears, for instance there was a gap between the top & center cross posts on the seat post for all years. Only the prototype seen in a Chicago Trade Show pic from 1914 looks like the ad where there appears to be no gap. No one I am aware of that has a Chief with the SA Tricoaster hub has or has seen a bike where the cable pulley is on the top post, all years they were mounted between the upper posts on the seat post. 1915 to 1919 frames are virtually identical and are indiguishable except by serial number with parallel top bars. 1920 got a mutated frame where the two top bars were no longer parallel and it looks a little strange. There were minor changes year to year from 1915 to 1919 but not the frames. 1915 to 1916 used a locking drop stand. 1917 to 1918 used a non-locking dropstand with diamond cut-out like on 1918+ H-D frames. There was also a 3rd different drop stand used but I am unsure of the year.

Here is a slide on the two drop stand variations that I am aware of.

1915_19ChiefDropStand_zps74e92ea4.jpg

There are big time head badge variations with at least 3 color variations and at least 3 facial structure variations. A narrower face badge was used on earlier Chiefs and a wider facial profile was used on later bikes and a third profile with a large nose of undetermined year.

Here are the three different facial structure identified by CABE member hoofhearted who is the ultimate expert on these bikes and has written about them in Classic Bicycle News.

1915_19ChiefFacialVar1_zps6f82c3e4.jpg

1915_19ChiefFacialVar2_zps435d502e.jpg

1915_19ChiefFacialVar3_zps98da6109.jpg

Here's the badge on my 1915 Chief - Early Facial Structure, 1915 ad Color headdress (Color Scheme Variation 1) exactly same as the ad and it has the 1915 to 1916 locking drop stand.

attachment.php

1915 to 1917 had fairly flat fenders. 1918 to 1920 had deep fenders.

Hope this helps but do not go strictly by the ads, they are not what was produced necessarily but do give hints to color/paint variations and equipment variations. The great original paint 1915 Chief at Dave's Nostalgic is a confirmed 1915 by numerous experts including Dave. Feel free to PM me any questions and I'll answer if I can.

BTW: I also LOVE what you have done with your Chief, very COOOL!!!!!!!! 8)

Gary Mc said:
I have done a lot of research into these and posted some of it on the CABE at:

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread ... ike-Thread

Be leary of the frame and other items in the ads being different. The ads are not exactly what was manufactured by Davis Sewing Machine Company for Sears, for instance there was a gap between the top & center cross posts on the seat post for all years. Only the prototype seen in a Chicago Trade Show pic from 1914 looks like the ad where there appears to be no gap. No one I am aware of that has a Chief with the SA Tricoaster hub has or has seen a bike where the cable pulley is on the top post, all years they were mounted between the upper posts on the seat post. 1915 to 1919 frames are virtually identical and are indiguishable except by serial number with parallel top bars. 1920 got a mutated frame where the two top bars were no longer parallel and it looks a little strange. There were minor changes year to year from 1915 to 1919 but not the frames. 1915 to 1916 used a locking drop stand. 1917 to 1918 used a non-locking dropstand with diamond cut-out like on 1918+ H-D frames. There was also a 3rd different drop stand used but I am unsure of the year.

Here is a slide on the two drop stand variations that I am aware of.

1915_19ChiefDropStand_zps74e92ea4.jpg

There are big time head badge variations with at least 3 color variations and at least 3 facial structure variations. A narrower face badge was used on earlier Chiefs and a wider facial profile was used on later bikes and a third profile with a large nose of undetermined year.

Here are the three different facial structure identified by CABE member hoofhearted who is the ultimate expert on these bikes and has written about them in Classic Bicycle News.

1915_19ChiefFacialVar1_zps6f82c3e4.jpg

1915_19ChiefFacialVar2_zps435d502e.jpg

1915_19ChiefFacialVar3_zps98da6109.jpg

Here's the badge on my 1915 Chief - Early Facial Structure, 1915 ad Color headdress (Color Scheme Variation 1) exactly same as the ad and it has the 1915 to 1916 locking drop stand.

attachment.php

1915 to 1917 had fairly flat fenders. 1918 to 1920 had deep fenders.

Hope this helps but do not go strictly by the ads, they are not what was produced necessarily but do give hints to color/paint variations and equipment variations. The great original paint 1915 Chief at Dave's Nostalgic is a confirmed 1915 by numerous experts including Dave. Feel free to PM me any questions and I'll answer if I can.
I think you definitely cleared up any gray areas regarding the "...other variables to consider..." statement that I mentioned at the end of the thread. Thank you very much for sharing such insightful information! I'm pretty sure I will PM you a question or two pretty soon!

Laidbackcool, I don't know if your Sears Chief is either a 1915, '16 or '17 but I do know that your 2013 version is superb! 8)

sleepy said:
Laidbackcool, I don't know if your Sears Chief is either a 1915, '16 or '17 but I do know that your 2013 version is superb! 8)
I must say that trying my hand at something I've never done before took a great deal of courage. My first build far exceeded my expectations, and it means even more to be honored by your kind remarks. Thank you very much :) !

Latest posts

Back