Sears Hydraulic and his friend Monty

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I would share this beauty I picked up a while back with you guys. I believe it is a 1974 Sears Hydraulic 10 speed. Obviously the brakes are the cool part. The front and rear operate together from a single lever attached directly to a master cylinder.
hydrolic001.jpg

hydrolic004.jpg

hydrolic002.jpg

hydrolic005.jpg

The best part.......it came with a second set of brakes!!!
hydrolic008.jpg

Re: Sears Hydrolic

I saw one at the Memory Lane show last month, but it was shredded. Only one I've seen other than yours. Cool bike.

Very cool. It's hard to find something I have never seen before but you have done it.

A kid that I grew up with had one of those. I was always envious of that bike because of the brakes. He took very good care of it and had it into adulthood. I wonder if he still has it ...

Re: Sears Hydraulic

that is crazy - never seen one.

So how well do these brakes work? Stop pretty good? better than cable brakes?

outskirtscustoms said:
So how well do these brakes work? Stop pretty good? better than cable brakes?
They do work in unison but I think they could probably use re-bleeding. I have considered re-wraping the bars (with the same wrap) and moving the brake lever up bars a bit as well.

I have just been letting it sit in the basement until the time is right and I find someone who knows more about how to bleed these and what to fill it with. Until then it remains in original condition.

After seeing all the interest people have in my Sears hydraulic brake bike, I thought I might as well show off one of my other favorite bikes. It too has a hydraulic brake on its rear wheel. Possibly the lightest bike I own, and definitely the most stopping power.

Magura makes some of the best brakes ever put on a bicycle, in my humble opinion.

hydra002.jpg

hydra005.jpg

hydra007.jpg

hydra004.jpg

hydra008.jpg

hydra003.jpg

ratcycle said:
Thats the smallest gear I have ever seen. Does it ride great?
24 teeth in the front and 17 in the back.

You will wear yourself out if you try to pedal more than 3-4 cranks at a time. Not ideal for long rides, but perfect for pedal kicks.

Good afternoon,
Saw this thread about the Sears hydraulic caliper brake bike. I operate a non-profit bike recycling shop in Morgantown WV and we happen to have that bike here. Is anyone interested in purchasing it? It's not something we're likely to use and we'd really like to find someone who can use it so the price will be whatever you say is fair. Bike appears to be in good condition, very minor rust, no tread wear, no scratches. Shipping can be arranged though pickup is preferred. We're in Morgantown, WV.
Thanks,
Nick
304-276-0213

nickinwv said:
Good afternoon,
Saw this thread about the Sears hydraulic caliper brake bike. I operate a non-profit bike recycling shop in Morgantown WV and we happen to have that bike here. Is anyone interested in purchasing it? It's not something we're likely to use and we'd really like to find someone who can use it so the price will be whatever you say is fair. Bike appears to be in good condition, very minor rust, no tread wear, no scratches. Shipping can be arranged though pickup is preferred. We're in Morgantown, WV.
Thanks,
Nick
304-276-0213
You should post some pics in the for sale forum. I would love to see it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back