Seat post is seized

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Anyone have experience removing seized seat posts' ? No luck with a sledge, vise grips or a bench vise. I've filled the entire tube with PB blast to let it penetrate for a few days then hit it with a heat gun until boiling. I've had a few stems that have taken a month or two to finally release but I'm kind of in a hurry to get this out, any tips/tricks?

What size post? I've had luck with 1" and 7/8" posts that were stuck where I clamped a stem on there and clamped the stem to a fork for leverage and just muscled it out. Wouldn't do it with a stem or fork I cared about, though

This is the way I get a stuck seat post out.
Spray pb blaster on it let it sit for a few minutes.
Flip the bike frame upside down and clamp the seat post in a vice.
I have a big heavy 40 or 50 lbs. vice.
And use the frame for leverage and pull up and twist the seat tube back and forth to loosen the seat post.
I have NEVER seen one that would not come out like this. NEVER.
JKent

I have seen the ones that have become oxiwelded. Beating on the seat post turn it, if it will! Shock works.

Ive had to drill a hole in the seat post and chain it to my truck and chain the frame to a tree and slowly pull forward. Its not too fun but it works.

Using a torch sounds like a lot of fun but not an option for me, I guess I'll just give it more time to penetrate the rust before trying to loosen it again.

Tried acetone and tranny fluid, many days of BP Blaster, torch, hammer, vice and dry ice and it didn't work on my stuck posts. Fastest way is to get it red hot and melting with the gas ax (aka blue wrench) and wrap it with a wet rag. The steam gets into the rust and boils it apart. Of course this ruined the frame, but I felt much better as my anger was taken out on the offending frame. Red hot molten puddles of frame steel also ruined my shoe soles. I twisted a down tube using a vice to hold a seat post once, ruined the frame. Since then I got gun shy and just drill them out with a big industrial drill and a long carbide tipped cement drill. Also used a large hammer drill, which works fast but the hole ends out larger then the bit. I then use a homemade drum sander and a lot of oil to hone it to final size. I work on this for about half and hour at a time. I get bored and come back to it. It takes many days to do this. I have done this to two frames so far and and I am working on another which is a lucky 7 that is welded into the frame. After I drill out the lucky seven I will never get another frame with a stuck seat post, they are the worst.

I've used a chain wrench with some success when chemical means were not feasible. Expect to wreck the seatpost though.

Cut the seat post. I'm assuming it's hallow. Turn down a shaft to fit. Then place a new post on top of the shaft and tack weld it. Seat clamp should tighten to hold in place. Just an idea. :bigboss:

I am glad you got it out!
I have a 2 man pipe wrench I use as a last ditch effort! Usually it twists the frame....

pb blaster...torch heat...twist w/leverage...repeat
again until it moves one day... PATIENCE will pay off.

I have never been bested by a stuck stem, but stuck seatposts have beaten me. The trick is time... PB blaster every couple of days, go back to twisting and hammering every couple weeks. Throw in some heat every once in a while for good measure. I think even the most stuck seatpost will come out eventually, given enough time and penetrating oil. The times I've been beaten were when I wasn't patient enough and ruined the fame by trying to manhandle it too hard, or by trying to cut out the seatpost.

One thing I've always wanted to try but never had the means... Stick the whole thing in a freezer for a day, pull it out and heat the frame with a torch. I've used this technique to put seals and bearings in without the appropriate press, but don't have a freezer big enough for a whole frame.

Latest posts

Back