Seat post is seized

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i have had quite a few seized seat posts in my time
the way i get them out is soak it in pb blaster a lot im talking the whole can if needed make sure the entire area between the post and tube is covered.
next take a pair of vice grips and clamp it on the seat as tight as you can get it
and turn the post it may take a few tries but that has always worked for me
also try hitting it with a mallet or if you don't care about damaging the end a hammer and it will eventually loosen up and come out
Sean

+1 on the Aerokroil. I've been using it since the early 90s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a bad one in a bmx recently, normally not an issue to get them out but this time both the post and the frame were worth saving, so had to be a bit more gentle. Alloy micro adjust post in a steel frame.

2 months of penetrating oil did nothing, I tried clamping on a bar stem and twisting but it was stuck so bad the stem would move before the post, ended up deciding I wanted the frame more than the post and put a big shifting spanner on the micro adjust at the top of the post, sat the frame up on some wood and jumped up and down on the spanner, came loose eventually and believe it or not the post and frame are both fine and will be getting reused soon!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back