Seat rebuilds.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Didn't know where this would fit in.I had an old columbia seat laying around for about 10 years or so....though maybe it was time to refurbish it. The seat pan bolts had been stripped(both the threads and the heads that press into the pan). Replaced those with some stainless and used some brass hardware to fasten it together. Recovered it with a brown plaid pattern with two different thickness of canvas and mohair below for durability.I dont have a project for this one to reside on yet but thats why I chose the color...it goes well with rust :wink: Just wanted to share one of the seat rehab's I've done.
-Kreep-

november057.jpg

november058.jpg

november059.jpg

november060.jpg

november061.jpg

Re: Seat rebuild.

what did you use to hold the materiel down so it won't move around? was it some spray adhesive?

smuve1985 said:
what did you use to hold the materiel down so it won't move around? was it some spray adhesive?

Yes, cut all of the material first and then used two diff. tack spray glues.I am doing two more seats right now,one for a client and one for a new project. I will be posting more photos soon of those . Including a bit more photos and tips.

-Kreep-

Nice work!
I will be looking forward to your rebuild tips, for sure.
What spray bomb do you like for the undercarriage that will hold up with spring flex, etc? Do you sandblast or wire brush them?

As mentioned I started work on seat for my 57' Colson. Bought the bike with no seat.It had original off white grips and pedals so I wanted to continue with that color. Alas, I didn't have one.
This Is what I started with. A black vinyl seat with a pretty rusty bottom.
seats004.jpg

seats002.jpg

Started by pulling it all apart.A tip-soak the nuts in PB for a while before attempting to remove them. They have a tendency to strip out the seat pan bolts if not.
seats005.jpg

Started to remove the foam pad from the seat pan.it also was rusted and glued to the pan.It helps if you soak it in warm water and take your time with a small scraper if you plan to reuse this(witch I did).
seats007.jpg

Then scuffed up the pans and springs to make sure there were no cracks or holes.then off to the sandblaster.
seats009.jpg

seats010.jpg

After sandblasting I found out there was a hairline crack running almost the entire length of the seat.I found another seat pan that was identical and gave it the same treatment. Including hammer and dolly to get out dents and the mark left from the old seatpost.

seats012.jpg

As far as tools,you don't need a whole lot. Scissors,razor blades,spray adhesive your recovering material and some time and patience(and of course a few of your favorite beverages :wink: ).
seats014.jpg

I chose a foax leather print on a nice sturdy Vinyl and some thin cotton batting for this one.
seats016.jpg

Sprayed both pieces and made a sandwich then trimmed them to one size.
seats017.jpg

I used a heat gun on low to heat and flatten out the old cover somewhat so that I could get a rough pattern for the new peice.
seats018.jpg

seats019.jpg

Once trimmed I heated the new piece up so it was a bit more pliable.(it helps to have the heat gun handy throughout the process).Then I sprayed it and placed it on the seat pan. Just work with a little bit of glue in the middle and work your way out while you stretch and form it.
seats020.jpg

seats021.jpg

Made relief cuts in the fabric to get it to stretch and form over the round surfaces and the lip of the pan.Just keep your cool and work with it.it is not a fast process and the glue allows you to fix mistakes.
seats022.jpg

seats027.jpg

Once it was wrapped and I was happy with it, I flipped it over and lightly ran the heat gun over the entire thing at the same time pulling it tighter over the pan. The heat gun shrinks the material and removes any small wrinkles.
seats023.jpg

Got all the hardware primed and painted. I just used a self etching primer and a brushed alum. enamel with a few clear coats.
seats026.jpg

Once I had the bottom pan on I flipped it and hit the whole seat again with the heat gun to more or less shrink wrap the fabric onto the seat
seats031.jpg

And the final product that I am really happy about.
seats032.jpg

seats037.jpg

seats038.jpg

I know it was a lot of pictures and blah blah blah but I figured it could help some of you out there with your projects. A seat is a main part of any build and without the right one it never looks right.
seats039.jpg

More pictures of the bike coming soon in another thread when its all buttoned up.
-Kreep-

Thank you very much for this post. I have found that I like working on seats and think that your choice of seat can make a huge difference in the "personality" of your bike. You used great photos and clear instructions. Would love to see other styles as you do them.

Really nice man...I have a hard core looking 30's springer and I am thinking about a Scottish plaid on a theme bike. Problem is that my seat doesn't have a two piece pan. Does the bottom pan actually hold the material or just cover up the edges? I mean does the adhesive hold it well enough?

T

with this inspiration...i think i'll start doin my seat too...AWESOME...

Latest posts

Back