Seatpost Size

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMC

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a rat rod from a 1962 Murray built Western Flyer and thought the seatpost size was 22.2mm, ordered a 22.2 layback and doesn't fit. It's a mm or 2 too big.. Anyone have experience with this frame or a frame you've had this issue with that can help me here? What size should I look for? The only seatpost online that I could find that is smaller is an old Murray bmx bike. I'm 6'1 so I definitely want a layback, any help is much appreciated! -Rob

Rob:
Get yourself a cheap vernier caliper (under $10) to measure seatpost diameters. Seatposts come in a vast number of diameters with some differing by only a millimeter or 2. If Klunkruiser is right and you need a 13/16" post, that's about 20.6 mm.

Rob:
Get yourself a cheap vernier caliper (under $10) to measure seatpost diameters. Seatposts come in a vast number of diameters with some differing by only a millimeter or 2. If Klunkruiser is right and you need a 13/16" post, that's about 20.6 mm.
Or even less. Someone jammed a 27.2(I think) in a 27 hole on a bike I just bought. Took a little persuasion to get it out.

That ebay add lists the 13/16 as 20.7mm. But I'm not sayin it's not 20.6mm.

Mr. Klunkruiser:
Good observation. I should have written "differing by only 0.1 mm or 0.2 mm." The thing is that we are getting pretty fine here. An average human hair is around 0.05 mm in diameter. A thick hair can be close to 0.2 mm. Hence the need for a vernier caliper (or, sometimes, a hammer).

Thanks for the responses I really appreciate it! Klunker I ordered a Vernier

Latest posts

Back