Secrets of the Masters

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For all the old crusty bike builders who have been doing it for years I am wondering if you would share some of your secrets.
Example: "I always put a little grease on my pedal threads to make it easier to remove them"

1. Especially coaster bikes, but any inexpensive bike without self centering vertical drop-outs may have been jigged together imperfectly, requiring "budging" while tightening wheel nuts or even filing dropouts or bending the seat frame or post to get the wheels in plane and centered under the riders weight. Take the trouble to check it out, the difference in comfort and energy needed to ride is well worth the effort.
2. If you're a grown man or strong woman/teenager, avoid wrenching things tighter than neccessary, this stuff is plain steel or even aluminum, not that hard to strip or break.
3. If rusty parts won't come apart, soak it with penatrent and set it aside 'til tomorrow. Same stuff, different day? Do it again. Waiting a couple of days is more fun than bent or wrinkled tubing or sheet metal.
4. Check tire seating carefully while inflating tires, rim and bead tolerance is variable.
5. Don't keep your chain as tight as an asian bike factory, but don't leave slack in it either.
6. Have fun, get paid, or both. If neither is happening, you're wasting time.
7. Etc., etc. :grin:

Coat your hands with a small amount of dishwashing liquid before working on your bike. Give it a minute to dry and you won't know it's there until you wash your hands later. Makes it easy for all kinds of grime to come off.

Coat your hands with a small amount of dishwashing liquid before working on your bike. Give it a minute to dry and you won't know it's there until you wash your hands later. Makes it easy for all kinds of grime to come off.
This also applies to yard work and (obviously) other machinery. :thumbsup:

take that cheap valve core removal tool and saw off those 2 thread fixers that always get hung up on the spokes. If you think you need to use the parts you sawed off, just buy 2 of them. them are cheap at walmart.

1. Ultra fine steel wool and boiled linseed oil are a must for bringing old bikes back to life.

2. Save your used motor oil after doing an oil change on your car, buy a little steel bucket or an old crock pot, boil small tidbits in said motor oil. The results are incredible. (This 'trick' has brought so many old skiptooth chains back to life for me)

Last edited:
For all the old crusty bike builders who have been doing it for years I am wondering if you would share some of your secrets.
Example: "I always put a little grease on my pedal threads to make it easier to remove them"
I'd like to add that cresent wrenches are almost always a bad idea. Especially with hard to break nuts. But when you do get them free if they start to tighten up while unscrewin, back them off and then proceed to loosen. You may have to do that a few times. Also for me a rubber mallet to the wrench to break free (especially on pedals) works awesome. After soaking if necessary that is.

Take Photos - If you are about to take something apart that you aren't familiar with, use your cell camera to take a sequence of photos before and during the removal of each piece. Sometimes it might be a few days or even weeks before you are putting it back together and you can review the pics to help.

You've seen exploded views of assemblies. Try to have enough room to have an exploded hub, crank, etc. The first time on any component can be difficult. Spread it out over a workbench to make reassembly easier.

"Get rid of some of those bikes!"
16ks1eh.jpg

If you have ever been ordered to thin the herd, do what I did. I took apart 4 bikes and stashed the frames and wheels with my other parts. Up in the rafters and also hanging up neatly, it looked like I got rid of a bunch of them. I don't have an after pic of my garage from back then.
As an added plus, I was able to get another bike or two later on to make up for "getting rid of my treasures".

"Get rid of some of those bikes!"
16ks1eh.jpg

If you have ever been ordered to thin the herd, do what I did. I took apart 4 bikes and stashed the frames and wheels with my other parts. Up in the rafters and also hanging up neatly, it looked like I got rid of a bunch of them. I don't have an after pic of my garage from back then.
As an added plus, I was able to get another bike or two later on to make up for "getting rid of my treasures".
Ah I see you have the same problem as I do.? Haha
Thing is I really need to get rid of some of this stuff..

Buy more bikes.

No; but realistically, don't buy individual parts, your much better off just buying a cheaper bike for the parts you need and keeping the rest in your stock for later. For example, a set of whitewalls on the internet or shop may run you $60, whereas you can get a set of white wall tires on cheapy walmart bike along with everything else for $40 or less most of the time.

Buy more bikes.

No; but realistically, don't buy individual parts, your much better off just buying a cheaper bike for the parts you need and keeping the rest in your stock for later. For example, a set of whitewalls on the internet or shop may run you $60, whereas you can get a set of white wall tires on cheapy walmart bike along with everything else for $40 or less most of the time.
Lots of truth there. there is a guy on this forum trying to sell a pair of cracked white walls for $100. ..... He's nuts. Keep eyes open for curb bikes and metal recycling dumpsters. I have an insane amount of luck in that department. Just took a 70s ish schwinn breeze out of dumpster yesterday and passed on 7 kids bikes that were in there.

1. Ultra fine steel wool and boiled linseed oil are a must for bringing old bikes back to life.

2. Save your used motor oil after doing an oil change on your car, buy a little steel bucket or an old crock pot, boil small tidbits in said motor oil. The results are incredible. (This 'trick' has brought so many old skiptooth chains back to life for me)
I am soaking a chain in some oil now. Does the heat really make a difference?

I've heard trans fluid was better than oil for restoring old chains... I have no experience in the matter.

Latest posts

Back