Selling Bikes Locally, a new aproach.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Here's my new approach:

"If they don't buy what you got, then sell what they want."

I have tried to sell all kinds of bikes around here. Road bikes, cruisers, muscle bikes, customs, classics, etc... and I have generally had ZERO luck. I have sold a few kids bikes for $5-$20, but it's hardly worth the hassle.

Locally if I list on Craigslist I am on the fringes of 3 lists, so listing in my most local one nets little to no results because of the distance, and I get flagged for wrong location in the other lists (that are just as close). So anything I try to sell I keep listed on a local (this city) Facebook selling group.

I have had a 1976 Schwinn Continental listed on there for a few weeks. I converted it to single speed (freewheel) but it is all original and a great rider. I've ridden it 15 miles the last 2 nights, plus it comes with all the original parts. $80, nobody interested on the Facebook group or Craigslist.

So I decided a few weeks back to offer something I'm seeing LOTS of around here, 20" BMX bikes with microdrive and no brakes (I'm totally against brakeless on the road, but all the kids take the brakes off as soon as they get a bike, so I wasn't going to bother, talk to me about liability... I'm not listening)

I had a newer Haro frame and fork with HEAVY 3 piece crank. I also had a rear microdrive wheel, so I thought I'd try to make something to sell. I cleaned it up (beat up pretty good) and stripped the decals. Removed the gyro. Put on a freshly painted set of bars. Added the wheels and bought a 25t front sprocket for $10. Added a set of $7 grips, and a $12 chain, just got the chain in the mail today, so I finished it, listed it on the local Facebook site for $100 firm, then started to list it on Craigslist, but before I was done a kid had walked to the house, handed me a $100 bill without even sitting on the bike and rode off.

I need to strip and convert more BMX bikes and do this again!

photo-2.jpg

I've got another Haro here with a 3 piece crank. Complete bike... needs pedals. I can get 25t chainrings from Porkchop for $15 (on clearance now) I just need a cheap source for rear microdrive hub wheels.

My son scraped the decals off his 90s GT(I wanted to choke him) because it looked stupid he said.......

For some reason around here you can find wheel sets with Microdrive for $50ish all day.

mikeeebikey said:
My son scraped the decals off his 90s GT(I wanted to choke him) because it looked stupid he said.......

For some reason around here you can find wheel sets with Microdrive for $50ish all day.

That's a little high for the profit margin I'm looking for! haha

The one I put on that bike I got for free. The last one I got came on a Hyperco Spinner bike that I gave $10 for the whole bike.

I guess the first bike was just a fluke, I built another one, a Haro Dave Mirra Signature 540 Air. Stripped the decals, removed the rotor and brakes (wanted to keep rear brake, but microdrive interfered with brakes), laced a microdrive rear hub into the original rim, put on new bars and grips, greased all bearings, cleaned and polished the bike. It is a nicer bike than the first so I started it at $180, kept lowering price and it sits now at $120 with nobody interested.

haro.jpg

Then I took spare parts and built this bike, Walmart bike with new grips from PorkchopBMX, knee saver 4 piece bars from Haro, rear 14mm axle hub from Haro, Haro chainwheel. Basically a new bike, for $60, I'll keep you informed on this one.

redwhite.jpg

That yellow bike looked pretty dope in my opinion, no wonder it sold quick. The others aren't quite as appealing maybe.

I like your approach tho. I cannot imagine riding one of these bikes but I see them all over so somebody is spending money on 'em. Good luck. 8)

been having good luck hanging my bikes on my car bike rack with a for sale sign and my phone number and then just drive around like I usually do,sold one in the grocery store parking lot last Friday,guy and his wife pulled me over and bought one Tuesday,got the idea kinda from the count on counting cars,there are some people who need to have a bike deliverd,i do that as well

Its interesting to gain insight into the bicycle market in other parts of the country in terms of prices and what bikes are popular. Here in the Austin, TX area, the market is strong and prices somewhat high. We have a generally bike friendly infrastructure, lots of good road riding, off-road trails scattered around town and within 1-2 hours from town, popular road cycling routes, and two large universities (one 30 minutes south). A crappy old mtb with street tires will fetch over $100 from a college kid. Old road bikes will sell for $200 if it's halfway decent shape. Newer, higher end bikes sell well, too. My bread and butter craigslist flips are hybrid bikes. I've been getting $300 + for 5 year old entry level Trek FXs or the like.

the_undecider said:
Its interesting to gain insight into the bicycle market in other parts of the country in terms of prices and what bikes are popular. Here in the Austin, TX area, the market is strong and prices somewhat high. We have a generally bike friendly infrastructure, lots of good road riding, off-road trails scattered around town and within 1-2 hours from town, popular road cycling routes, and two large universities (one 30 minutes south). A crappy old mtb with street tires will fetch over $100 from a college kid. Old road bikes will sell for $200 if it's halfway decent shape. Newer, higher end bikes sell well, too. My bread and butter craigslist flips are hybrid bikes. I've been getting $300 + for 5 year old entry level Trek FXs or the like.

Yeah, I'm in a sad area not only for selling bikes but for riding. This is a 1976 Schwinn Continental I converted to single speed and can't get anyone interested in at $80. I rode this bike 15 miles the other week, it's a nice bike. I added the "hipster" stuff as a joke since I wasn't getting any interest.

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/3803272407

Cool, Here's one I built a while back but kinda an old school meets new school concept. Micro drive, no brakes, gum walls, just a cool bike.

Bikesofday002.jpg

Rat Rod said:
Just paint them all yellow. :lol:

Haha, maybe I should. I knew that one had a good chance of selling since the school colors here are yellow and black. Funny thing is, that bike REALLY stands outs amongst all the black BMX bikes around here. I've seen him a few times. He brought it back for a tune up a few days ago (breaking in new bearings) and his friend mentioned the he had rode out in front of a car on it and a police stopped him and told him not to do that anymore... it was easy to ID the yellow bike.

I'll be selling a few bikes soon and will not be posting online.I have a lot of coffee houses around me and will pin up ads on the community corkboards they all seem to have.

Latest posts

Back