Selling build off bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a number of people ask if my Roadster was for sale the first weekend I rode it. Hadn't thought about selling it or even what price to put on it. At this point I'm way too attached to it to sell it, it's my favorite bike so far!

Have never thought about selling one of my build off bikes but have had three people ask what I'm going to sell Coopster for since I finished it. Heck I can't even begin to think how to price something like a build off bike.
For me it was like selling art when I sold the Drag King Raceliner. It is hard to let something go that you put so much of your time and thoughts into. There were even things that I created in my sleep and woke up with solutions that I hadn't considered the night before. After three months of that it becomes a small part of you. Putting a price on it is very difficult.

I finally settled on a price that I thought I could live with. I felt like it was more than most people would pay for a bike, but at the same time it was far less than what my hourly wage should have been. I've joked since then that I could've made more money per hour working at McDonalds! I felt like the new owner got a good deal.

After it sold and was shipped, I was a little sad to see it go, but for me it's more about the journey than the destination when it comes to building. I've always got projects waiting for my attention. I have not yet regretted selling it, and it's cool to know that someone else is continuing to enjoy owning it as much as I enjoyed building it!

I even got some pictures of the bike at it's new home!
Rat%20truck_zpsxhhy2fzy.jpg

Last edited:
I could not let go of that Ramchargers Drag Bike. It is too much fun to ride. My CAT Bike, WBO 2015, is my favorite cruiser bike so that one stays. The Muscle Bike Build Off 2014, Hurst Stingray Fastback, stays too because it has been my favorite Schwinn Bike since I started working on bikes 40 years ago.

Here's another thought. I have people ask me would I sell my '66 VW bus almost every where I go in it.

I have a standard reply: Sure, everything I own is for sale. The next question is always; How much would you take for it? I then put it back in their court by saying; I don't know yet, but I'll know when I hear it. How much would you give?

Most people at that point realize that they're just infatuated and are not really willing to pay what it's worth. Occasionally someone will actually make a serious offer. So far though, no one has made an offer that pushed me over the edge. But as I said, when someone does, I'll know it.;)

100_5583_zpsf73e88f9.jpg

I've had some interest but no actual offers for the Elfman. I have no intention of selling it but if someone really needed a frame like that I'd consider making another. I'm not at all set up for production though and I would need to provide a modified rear fender at least to make it work. I have no illusions that for what I would have to charge to make it worth while the demand will remain very low. I did some accounting on what I spent on steel tubing and welding supplies and was a bit shocked. I probably could have bought a genuine Elgin Robin frame.

I've had some interest but no actual offers for the Elfman. I have no intention of selling it but if someone really needed a frame like that I'd consider making another. I'm not at all set up for production though and I would need to provide a modified rear fender at least to make it work. I have no illusions that for what I would have to charge to make it worth while the demand will remain very low. I did some accounting on what I spent on steel tubing and welding supplies and was a bit shocked. I probably could have bought a genuine Elgin Robin frame.

But who needs a Robin when you have an Elfman!!!!????

I guess since I am an artist and Make my living from selling things I create I have no problem selling my bikes. Could never really get a price to make a great hourly rate but better to do what you like and have fun then get to greedy.

Here's another thought. I have people ask me would I sell my '66 VW bus almost every where I go in it.

I have a standard reply: Sure, everything I own is for sale. The next question is always; How much would you take for it? I then put it back in their court by saying; I don't know yet, but I'll know when I hear it. How much would you give?

Most people at that point realize that they're just infatuated and are not really willing to pay what it's worth. Occasionally someone will actually make a serious offer. So far though, no one has made an offer that pushed me over the edge. But as I said, when someone does, I'll know it.;)

100_5583_zpsf73e88f9.jpg

Check this out...

VW Auction

Is that the sort of price you're after?

:43:

Glen.

I have built 5 bikes in the Build Offs. I sold two (BEER RUN and Flexy), and traded one (Firewing).

With BEER RUN, I had my fun with it for a year and when my buddy opened another Your Pie pizza joint, I sold it to him to hang from the ceiling as art.

I road Flexy a lot over the 3 years that I had it and definitely had a ton of fun with it. I needed the space and it just felt like the right time to let it go.

I feel like I put more build time in Firewing than any other bike I have done. I found that I didn't ride it as much as Flexy and when a cool trade offer came up, I couldn't resist.

With each of these there has been some regret, but I think it is healthy to rotate your herd every now and then.

It is a great idea to build again, Kingfish. I have watched my creativity expand with each new build and I can see you have as well. Keep pushing the envelope and sell what you can't keep and let the funds fulfill a need or just build another bike to fill an empty bicycle parking space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back