Shapely 1927 Westfield-built 28" Motobike Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1927 Westfield-built 28" Motobike.
I bought this motobike frame &c. with damage, rust and missing parts, however, the double top-bar, special truss fork (arch or wishbone), and uncommon skip-tooth chain-ring (26-T), all caught my eye, as did the price. The condition may be what placed it into my penny-wise affordability price range. I did not know the make or model and the seller did not state, other than 19” frame for old 28” wood wheels (635mm).
I plan to add modern aluminum 28 x 1-1/2” wheels (622 mm), Velo Orange Zeppelin fenders, a vintage-looking seat/post, other parts/accessories, and finish-off with Rust-Oleum.
upload_2017-4-20_14-46-27.png

I believe it is a 1927 Westfield-built motobike, stamped with an “E” on the bottom (twice), the fork, and the crank. The shimmed Westfield “double-D” crank (no drive pin) also had a circle-M (too old for Murray; maybe Miami Ohio?). These bicycle parts may not have been good specimens for a pure restoration project, but I believe I can put some life back into the 90-year old bike. The bike is not especially rare or unique, as others have nicer projects, posted from time to time.
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index....motor-bike-built-by-pope-westfield-mfg.63301/
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/my-1930s-westfield-pope-build.57980/
http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/westfield-serial-numbers.98126/

Last edited:
The infamous “HTF” head badge.
Somehow, I eliminated some makes/models, and concluded that this bike is a yet unknown to me brand (other than non-Columbian) made by the Westfield Manufacturing Company. The missing head badge used two wide-apart fastener holes on the right and left sides of the head tube. Below those holes were another un-used set closer together filled with what looked like OEM paint.
I looked into the chain-ring, with 3 pumpkin holes plus 3 wedges and believe that besides being a Westfield (double-D) it looks somewhat similar in style to some TOC Rambler models.
upload_2017-4-20_14-53-31.png

Not mine: Earlier Jeffery & Gormully 3-arm Crank (spider)
upload_2017-4-20_14-53-52.png

Not mine: Later 180-out to accommodate a drive pin.

Last edited:
Interchangeability.
Through disassembly and parts checks, I found out some peculiarities (headset, bottom bracket).
The odd fork and headset – 26 TPI threads (versus 24) lightly cross-threaded on top, a 25.4 mm bottom race (versus 26 or 27), and odd bearings and cups. I plan to re-use the cones, and replace the cups and bearings with those from a standard 30 mm headset. The top bearing retainer and/or cup appear to have been replaced, at some time, perhaps with the wrong parts (small). Adapting a Raleigh 26 TPI loose ball headset might be an alternative.
The bottom bracket was not 24 TPI either, so I ordered an extra fine 28 TPI set, then after a closer look, (next to some pedal axles) found the crank threads to be coarse 20 TPI (or 1.25 mm). So the cones will be saved. Then, the cups were also small at 1-15/16” (not 2.03” interference fit), so the cups will be saved too. At least the new 12-bearing retainer sets may be used.
It took a propane torch to get the drive side cone off of the cranks, only to find the chain-wheel double-D shimmed for a tight fit – how long has that shim been there.
The bearing cone, nut and knurled washer appear to be the style that are sometimes associated with the Hendee "Indian style" - as are the chain tensioners also.

Last edited:
The wheels and tires came in, with considerable saving by using 622mm versus 635mm cladded with unobtainium. I ordered 5/16" x 90mm hubs, but USPS delivery was intercepted, twice. No more online ordering, for a while.
upload_2017-4-28_11-2-1.png

For the formerly plated since rusted items, I figured that some hammer-tone pewter might look good over the pitted metal. The stuff had some bad reviews and the hammered-effect works better on large flat surface areas. Basically it is a metallic dark gray, not pretending or trying to fool anyone that it looks anything near a chrome plate substitute; it is kind-of goopy, 7-days to 'dry' feels tacky, probably still wet underneath. Will also leave the aluminum rims and fenders in OEM state.
upload_2017-4-28_11-15-48.png

Found some pedals I like, (9/16" with extenders).
upload_2017-4-28_11-10-7.png

Some of the "reds" are in the fore-ground: Rustoleum Burgundy (center), Colonial and Regal reds (left/right). I like the Colonial color better (almost same), but chose the Regal, because it is the 1X version, which I will use over red primer. I believe that the nooks and crannies of a bike frame would make use of a 2X thicker paint more difficult.

Last edited:
More on chain-wheel and identification of brand.
Earlier I had found some 3-hole skip-tooth chain rings that were just not the same (nonpareil?). Another TOC model from Eclipse which would be better known later for their coaster brake hubs (as Bendix). TOC Eclipse Bicycle, Elmira NY (below):
upload_2017-5-15_11-33-7.png
Even Schwinn had a 3-hole design; 1939 Schwinn Paramount (below):
upload_2017-5-15_11-34-58.png
Through patience and further searches, I found (on eBay) some 1929 catalog pages for the Shapleigh Hardware Company of St. Louis MO. The catalog showed both a special truss fork and a three (3) hole chain wheel sprocket. So I now believe that my new 90-year old Westfield-built Motobike was most likely badged as a Shapleigh Motor Bike. Their catalog mentioned other “badges” such as Cyco, Diamond (edge), Nonpareil (french), Rugby, Wonder, and Vassar (college).
upload_2017-5-15_11-36-29.png

1929 "Shapleigh Special" Red/Blue/Brown Motor Bike

Last edited:
Head badges & progress report.
I found some nickel-brass head badges with the side-holes.
upload_2017-5-31_10-58-5.png
The incorrect “Columbia” does not quite fit either of the hole patterns.
upload_2017-5-31_10-59-49.png
The more appropriate “Shapleigh” badge does fit; the small fastening holes align fairly well.
upload_2017-5-31_11-2-12.png
Also, making some slow progress on the frame/fork (red).

Any final progress to report PF? Would love to see whatcha got done. Great looking bike BTW....:thumbsup:
Your fork looks like the one on the right...1922 or 23 Westfield Indian style as does this frame..
Screen20Shot202015030120at201212020PMpng-1[1].jpg

Pic fr:thecabe

Last edited:
More on chain-wheel and identification of brand.
Earlier I had found some 3-hole skip-tooth chain rings that were just not the same (nonpareil?). Another TOC model from Eclipse which would be better known later for their coaster brake hubs (as Bendix). TOC Eclipse Bicycle, Elmira NY (below):
Even Schwinn had a 3-hole design; 1939 Schwinn Paramount (below):
Through patience and further searches, I found (on eBay) some 1929 catalog pages for the Shapleigh Hardware Company of St. Louis MO. The catalog showed both a special truss fork and a three (3) hole chain wheel sprocket. So I now believe that my new 90-year old Westfield-built Motobike was most likely badged as a Shapleigh Motor Bike. Their catalog mentioned other “badges” such as Cyco, Diamond (edge), Nonpareil (french), Rugby, Wonder, and Vassar (college).
View attachment 51354
1929 "Shapleigh Special" Red/Blue/Brown Motor Bike
Hello Phil,

I am hoping that you may be able to help me identify a bicycle. I believe that I may have a 1927 Shapleigh (Westfield) Diamond boy's bicycle. There are diamonds on either side of the model number, and the end of the pedals have a diamond shape to them. It has a 17" frame, 23" dia rims, and a 7-1/4" dia crank sprocket.

Although mine would be a 1927, I was wondering if it would match up with the information in your 1929 catalog... I haven't had any luck finding a 1927 catalog.

Thank you, Keith

Attachments

• Westfield Bike.jpg
    Westfield Bike.jpg
    743.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Westfield Head Tube.jpg
    Westfield Head Tube.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Westfield Seat.jpg
    Westfield Seat.jpg
    812.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Westfield Serial Number E1xxxx.jpg
    Westfield Serial Number E1xxxx.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Westfield Skip Tooth Sprocket.jpg
    Westfield Skip Tooth Sprocket.jpg
    844.7 KB · Views: 52
@sthpawil Westfield supplied bicycles to many retail outfits. I have seen the diamond stamps before, but not aware of their significance.

A hardware store did have a slogan, "the diamond edge is a quality pledge" - (perhaps before they bought out the keen-kutter brand from E.C. Simmons).

@sthpawil Westfield supplied bicycles to many retail outfits. I have seen the diamond stamps before, but not aware of their significance.

A hardware store did have a slogan, "the diamond edge is a quality pledge" - (perhaps before they bought out the keen-kutter brand from E.C. Simmons).
Thank you Phil. On your older post, I thought you meant that you had purchased the 1929 Shapleigh ads. I was hoping to see a picture of the page that mentioned the Diamond badge. Regards, Keith

Does anyone have pictures or info about the Vassar bike? I picked up an early frame recently that looks like it had a Vassar badge on it, but it has no other markings I can find

Attachments

• 0CC61644-DDD0-4DE8-A1BD-B7C90C7897B3.jpeg
    0CC61644-DDD0-4DE8-A1BD-B7C90C7897B3.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 5A89E4E2-948D-43CE-97E2-1627E2F6E701.jpeg
    5A89E4E2-948D-43CE-97E2-1627E2F6E701.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 4C35A6E4-8788-4695-8885-DE9777D6F0F2.jpeg
    4C35A6E4-8788-4695-8885-DE9777D6F0F2.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 32

Latest posts

Back