Shelgin Master

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need some input! So Im thinking of running some felt silver 26x50 mm 3 speed rims with the cream quick brick 26 x 2.125 but I'm worried about the fenders rubbing or I was thinking I could go with the 24x50 mm 3 speed and running the thick brick 24x 3. I don't have either rims or tires at this point so I can't mock it up. What do you guys think?

So I'm going with stainless 26 x 1.75 wheelset with shimano nexus 3 speed and going to run 26x2.125 antique white quick bricks tires. Those are on their way. I'm going to run the 3 speed to the stick shift. Not positive how or where I'm going to mount it yet.

8fd12ea813da1e03f5c222d8432707fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I decided I'm not going for a clean paint job/bike anymore. That's just not me, haha. I'm debating bare metal or a patina solution. I picked some up yesterday and did one of the fenders. Not sure how I like it or if I'd like the whole bike like that. May just do a few pieces and leave the rest bare.
ed7091b9189d3d1b43ea6202c6c3148c.jpg

Also got the bracket made for the springer just need to shape it a little.

c10a2c305f71337df31910478c26b192.jpg

Here is a couple other pieces of the puzzle, still going to run a bmx 3 piece crank though
67e72a345a6cd113b6b55a4fbc7d7ecb.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so torn on this thing, can't decide what I want to do!!!!! :headbang:

Leave bare metal or paint it or patina solution or mix and match bare metal and patina solution. I'm not that happy with the way the fender came out with patina solution.

I'm so torn on this thing, can't decide what I want to do!!!!! :headbang:

Leave bare metal or paint it or patina solution or mix and match bare metal and patina solution. I'm not that happy with the way the fender came out with patina solution.

That frame is sexy as bare metal. Maybe keep it bare metal, but use the fenders and forks to add some color to it all.

Nice wheel tire skippy combo

So here's another mock, got my springer bracket shaped as good as I could.
ba5c5b144d207d08fb6e86ebea9b2547.jpg

Im going to strip the fenders back down and go with black. It will match up good with the crank, grips and shifter knob. I still need to figure out how to mount my shifter with out drilling into the frame. And also find a black rough looking seat, Long spring is what I'm thinking!

Any suggestions on clear coating the frame or polishing it up?

Last edited:
Rub the frame down with boiled linseed oil. It dries clear, and protects steel from rust. Or you can rub it down with regular linseed oil, and it keeps a wet look that some people like. Either one can be bought at a Home Depot type store.

Rub the frame down with boiled linseed oil. It dries clear, and protects steel from rust. Or you can rub it down with regular linseed oil, and it keeps a wet look that some people like. Either one can be bought at a Home Depot type store.

Yeah Ive used the boiled linseed before on painted bikes before, you think that will do it? No clear coat of any kind? You think that will prevent any rust from occurring?

There was a recent thread on BLO too with examples.
Bike is looking awesome!!!

Greased the headset and put that all together for the last time haha. Also put the badge on and gave the frame and fork a nice wipe down of Boiled linseed oil.
378deb08f07cf847d878a52d22531a7f.jpg

Possible seat option, not sure yet.
1435518d7ae08d5a7a168e2c6a3e064a.jpg

Tried something different with the front fender went with a flat black then used some material I picked up and layed it over the fender then did a clear coat. Kind of a cool design, not 100% sold on it yet though. What do you guys think?
f8cc56da15fdabe9851ae7263e21cb49.jpg

Latest posts

Back