Shop n Chop

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this West Coast Chopper for free from the maintenace guy. Not bad shape but the stupid seat post was broken off almost at the top bar.

Photo-0007what.jpg

I didn't like the chrome flat bar and had a better project for that one so I needed new handlebars. I decided to chop up the abandoned shopping cart the kids tried to turn into a vehicle (don't ask) and this is what I got. It's the lower bar between the wheels with the support bar cut out.

Photo-0005chopbars.jpg

Hence the name Shop n Chop. Since it's going to be cobbled together from odds and ends I figure the paint should be a flat or satin shade of primer. Grey or rust red? Still thinking on that one.

I have a plan for a head badge in keeping with the overall ratrod theme. My Dad, who probably never had a pabst in his life scrounged this from somewhere and stashed it in a drawer.

badge-1.jpg

Re: Shop n Chop back to work

Finally got around to doing some more work on this build. Got the welds on the shopping cart bars ground off and painted a set of big ol road grips gloss black. There was bad chrome on the brackets for the fork so I painted those gloss black too and the the chain ring and pedals will also be gloss black. Used good ol rust red flat primer for the body and laid it on thick.

Trying to figure out where and how to mount the speedo I scored from a thrift shop exercise bike. The cable is pretty short so it will have to go low on the steering tube I think. Also have a headlight that goes somewhere. Got a layback seat bar and may use the glossy black seat from the execise bike.

I think it's coming together.

Photo-0004chop.jpg

Cool! One thing I've seen that is easy and will reduce the cable distance is to flip the speedo bracket upside down. Rather than having the speedometer above the handlebar stem, it sits next to or lower than the stem. It looks nice and is easy to do, assuming you have a removable speedo bracket (I think most do).

or tank mount the speedo in the middle of the top tube of the frame, like a bobber, might be tricky though

one thing I haven't seen yet is a Captain America chopper, like Easy Rider. I recall my cousin having an Evil Kneivel Bike back in the seventies, it was red white and blue, cool

Here's what I got so far. The layback seat, the speedo and the light all I like okay but I think the light is too high. Need to do something with mount to get it more forward and lower.

Photo-0006chipchop.jpg

Photo-0008chpchp.jpg

hey brent!! nice ride man! but id put a set of apes on there. some honkers if it were me. then the light wouldnt look to high, especially if you had a set of 3footers!!! but definately a cool lookin bike!

Easy E

Got the head badge on and took it for a 6 mile shake down run today. They are opening a new stretch of highway on Monday and let bikers, walkers etc have free reign today. Classic and and antique bike guys were there with a couple Dyno choppers, a Swingaway, a 57 Schwinn and a 50's Western Flyer.
The Shop n Chop rode well with no problems except that my knees were in my chest. Short wheel base.

Probably go with the rear fender, tighten and tweak it up a bit,christen it with a Pabst, and call it done.

Photo-0011.jpg

Latest posts

Back