BO15 Nouveau Style (previously Shop-rod)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my fortunate success with last years Class 2 "The Streamliner" build, some of you may be surprised to see me entering a Class 1 build.
The truth is that I just can't commit to the time it takes to do a full build.
I started my business last year and it has gone really well so far.
But I'm sure I can squeeze in a little rebuild. I mean, it's not likely to spiral out of control is it? Is it? Lol

So my plan is to take an ugly, unwanted bike and (hopefully) make it slightly better.

The worst bike I know in England is the 1970's "shopper"! Usually only ridden by old ladies to fetch some cat food from the local shop.

I'm going to "hot-rod" one!

I give you the Shop-Rod!
DSC_1843.JPG

DSC_1844.JPG

Resplendent isn't she?!
Sadly the tartan check basket has long gone. No matter, I plan to make my own box for the previously mentioned cat food!

Last edited:
Welcome back David! It will be fun to see what you do with the Cat Lady build. Wait...don't cats chase rats?
RaT oN~!

After my fortunate success with last years Class 2 "The Streamliner" build, some of you may be surprised to see me entering a Class 1 build.
The truth is that I just can't commit to the time it takes to do a full build.
I started my business last year and it has gone really well so far.
But I'm sure I can squeeze in a little rebuild. I mean, it's not likely to spiral out of control is it? Is it? Lol

So my plan is to take an ugly, unwanted bike and (hopefully) make it slightly better.

The worst bike I know in England is the 1970's "shopper"! Usually only ridden by old ladies to fetch some cat food from the local shop.

I'm going to "hot-rod" one!

I give you the Shop-Rod!
View attachment 119389
View attachment 119390
Resplendent isn't she?!
Sadly the tartan check basket has long gone. No matter, I plan to make my own box for the previously mentioned cat food!
Alright Dave, ( nods) ...its an English thing . Anyone that's interested , its David's fault I've entered Class 2 , he badgered me into it . Looking forward to seeing where he goes with this .

The frame strip down is done. I hate cotter pin cranks! Seems so wrong to be using a big hammer on a bicycle!
Still, they came off OK in the end (I use a little heat too).
Then onto the bearing caps. Non drive side came off lovely. The drive side did not! I'm used to British bikes, but when I have built a French bike (actually I've only done one) I ran into trouble with thread sizes. So it shouldn't have been a surprise that the drive side thread is normal, not reversed.
I have never had anything to do with US bikes, so maybe english bikes are the odd one to have a reverse thread.
Anyway, it's off now (clamp frame in a vise and turn frame...... No the other way lol)
So I have got rid of the cotter crank and fitted a square shaft from "stock"

The frame strip down is done. I hate cotter pin cranks! Seems so wrong to be using a big hammer on a bicycle!
Still, they came off OK in the end (I use a little heat too).
Then onto the bearing caps. Non drive side came off lovely. The drive side did not! I'm used to British bikes, but when I have built a French bike (actually I've only done one) I ran into trouble with thread sizes. So it shouldn't have been a surprise that the drive side thread is normal, not reversed.
I have never had anything to do with US bikes, so maybe english bikes are the odd one to have a reverse thread.
Anyway, it's off now (clamp frame in a vise and turn frame...... No the other way lol)
So I have got rid of the cotter crank and fitted a square shaft from "stock"
I hated cottered cranks , right up until I spied a ball joint splitter in the toolbox ( the pincer ones with the bolt ) undo nut till its flush with the top of the thread give it a little squirt with your favourite rusty things loosening spray tighten the bolt up till it resists , go make a cuppa ( as we british are wont to do)... give it the gentlest of tonks with the thumb expanded on the bolt after the refreshing cuppa. Watch the thing fall out with zero effort... and wonder what all this fuss was about cotterpins all those years . :)
And like Pedals with opposite threads you can thank the Wright brothers for that , it so it dont unscrew under load . If they only did that they would still be great engineers , but they got involved with all this flight stuff too. Clever guys .

Last edited:
Funky little frame. I thought the Shopper bikes were based off of the Raleigh Twenty frame? Or was shopper more a class of small grocery bikes?

Funky little frame. I thought the Shopper bikes were based off of the Raleigh Twenty frame? Or was shopper more a class of small grocery bikes?
This is the French version, simular to the Raleigh but with a little more "va va voom"! And with odd threads and metric size wheels (which I'm replacing with 20")

Latest posts

Back