should i turn my monark into a klunker?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

• No

Votes: 39 92.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

1946MONARK.jpg

Why not just buy some ratty bike and turn it into a klunker?? There are precious few Monarks in as nice condition as yours. Tear it apart and they'll be one less piece of our history...surely there are a few deals on orphan bikes in PR that you could work with...

jwm said:
You're goofin' us, right?

JWM

Nope. I don't have room for another bike. I wanted to get a schwinn dx frame or a schwinn straight bar to show off my headbadges but I can't find one at a decent price nor have the room to store it.

if it were me. i would say no just because of how nice it is.having said that. of course you can do anything you want with it. thats the fun of bikes..make them what you want.as long as youre happy with it. its cool.. think maybe though of which style you would get more use of. in its condition now its more geared to parades and boardwalks. things of that nature but if youre more into another form of riding then by all means do what will get the most use of the bike.

ill trade you my schwinn heavy duty straight bar which is built already as a klunker of sorts (i use it as a dog walk bike on the trails) ill even give you 75 bucks to put into it. 12g stainless spokes ect... you get a straight bar to klunk and i get a bike to accessorize and slow cruise.

IMAG1506.jpg

IMAG1505.jpg

Just note that I've seen more Monark frames busted at the seattube and the bottom bracket intersection than schwinns, so your risking breaking it.

Of course, Axsepul, it is your bike to do with as you please. But to my thinking making a clunker out of it would be much like chopping up a split window Volkswagen for a dune buggy. You'd end up with a ruined classic, and an unreliable, poor performing dune buggy. If I were going the clunker route, I'd pick the newest Schwinn frame in the fleet, and either part the rest out, or save it for the day when you decide to un-clunkerize the Schwinn.
Just my two cents worth.

JWM

trade is out of the question since for the cost of shipping i can probably buy 2 or 3 frames to klunkerize. maybe with someone local. remember i live in puerto rico. this bike weights close to 60 pounds

barkeep said:
ill trade you my schwinn heavy duty straight bar which is built already as a klunker of sorts (i use it as a dog walk bike on the trails) ill even give you 75 bucks to put into it. 12g stainless spokes ect... you get a straight bar to klunk and i get a bike to accessorize and slow cruise.

IMAG1506.jpg

IMAG1505.jpg

here is a new picture how it sits, i've changed the stand, seat and handlebar

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG00520-20120122-1142.jpg

:mrgreen:

Did not realize you live in puerto rico ; what would the shipping cost me ? i have this to trade.....Ralph

oldDX.jpg

I have had a couple Monarks pass through my hand that have busted the joint at the seat tube- bottom bracket. I have seen several others that weren't mine, as well. They are not the strongest frames so if you make the choice to go Klunker and use it even mildly as such I don't know that the frame will survive. I have destroyed more than a few old frames with a cut off wheel and a welded and they were mine to do that with as this one is yours. Just be aware that there may not be any going back. Klunk on!

Had to drive one hour each way but I picked this up for $25

IMG00588-20120215-2020.jpg

E38215 sept. 14, 1948

IMG00589-20120215-2020.jpg

What would you call a bike that has a little of klunker, cruiser, bmx and mussle bike?

That's what I'm thinking for this frame. I'm going have to start hanging bikes from the roof!

Latest posts

Back