Show Me Your Beater Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll start us off with my Grant's department store bike. It was found in a scrap pile by a friend and I've revived it with a nexus 3 and parts from six or seven different bikes. I have had it for almost three years and am coming up on 1200 miles on this. It's ugly enough that a cheap lock works fine. The idea is whenever something breaks I'll replace it with something better, and eventually I'll have the best bike.
j95e4or.jpg

Beater/Townie bikes are something I've advocated for a long time. Something that looks ratty or dorky and has obviously been cobbled together, but runs like a champ, Pro bike thieves don't look twice and opportunistic thieves are afraid of riding off on them. A cheap cable lock or not even having a lock are always a great option to have. I enjoy being a minimalist and not having to carry a bunch of stuff with me every time I throw a leg over a bicycle.

My usual Every Day Carry when riding fixed gear around Sub/Urban areas:
EDC.jpg

I'll start us off with my Grant's department store bike. It was found in a scrap pile by a friend and I've revived it with a nexus 3 and parts from six or seven different bikes. I have had it for almost three years and am coming up on 1200 miles on this. It's ugly enough that a cheap lock works fine. The idea is whenever something breaks I'll replace it with something better, and eventually I'll have the best bike.
j95e4or.jpg
GRANT'S DEPARTMENT STORE!

A 80's Raliegh Newport I dug out of the trash and threw some rims and tires on . Someday I will take it to the beach and leave it for community bike . Pay it forward bike , I guess ?
View attachment 117559

Good deal. All of our "community" beach bikes seem to be old Jamis women's 24" cruisers with blown out bearings and rust packed chains

I'm with Cena^

One of the bikes I came up on the other day was a Specialized hybrid. Not only was the setup disturbing, but the frame had at least eight holes drilled into it in various places, the most nefarious being a 1/4" hole drilled for a bolt of the same diameter through the drive side chainstay just in front of the dropout. The frame got trashed, but some decent parts to work with were lifted from it. Some people's kids...

Last edited:
Disc brake! How fast do you ride around the shop? :crazy2:
As fast as possible :thumbsup:!

I put that bike together for my son-in-law for a 22mile, mostly downhill, mountain bike ride. The coaster was already on its last legs, so I figured it needed a little more woah power.

Latest posts

Back