Show off AMF bicycles

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very rusty and crusty AMF Roadmaster with no headbadge, just says "Major" on chain guard.

major1.jpg

heres a silly question - I thought AMF was a complete company like monark, murray and cleveland welding. so whats with the amf roadmasters, arent they made by cleveland welding co?

what gives?

Hmmm...my '57 PleasureLiner says CWC...?

I found this on the web:

"In 1953, after a prolonged labor strike, AMF moved bicycle manufacturing from the UAW-organized plant in Cleveland, Ohio to a new facility in Little Rock, Arkansas."

"Peaks and Valleys: 1950s-1960s

After more than a decade of strong growth, Junior Toy and its Roadmaster line, now under the control of the privately held Cleveland Welding Company, were acquired by AMF Wheel Goods. The 1951 purchase began an era of peaks and valleys for the Roadmaster line. The booming economy of the 1950s and the explosion in the number of births during the postwar era provided a favorable environment for the bike maker. Taking advantage of the increase in its target markets, the company was able to diversify its product line, adding exercise equipment under the brand name Vitamaster in 1950. As the "baby boom" population continued to expand, the company found the need for a new manufacturing facility to keep up with demand. In 1962, the company moved its operations to Olney, Illinois, where it built a new factory on the 122-acre site in southern Illinois that would remain the company's principal bicycle manufacturing location into the 1990s.

After two decades of consistent growth, however, the AMF Wheel Goods Division stalled under the long-distance management of a parent company bogged down in layer after layer of bureaucracy. By the late 1970s, the bicycle division had fallen on hard times. The absence of stable management--the company had seven presidents between 1972 and 1982--and the inability of AMF to run the division efficiently from its headquarters in White Plains, New York, contributed to a steady decline in sales and profits. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, for instance, the company lost an average of $8 million a year. Moreover, the quality of the Roadmaster line--once its hallmark--had fallen to an all-time low. Bicycles made at the Olney plant, according to Judith Vandewater's article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, were manufactured so poorly that some bike shops in the area refused to repair them, claiming that the bikes would not stay fixed no matter how much labor and effort was put into them."

Interesting.
What's less than funny is how badly AMF seemed to screw up anything they got their hands on. They even bought out Harley-Davidson in '69 or '70, and nearly ran them into the ground with crappy quality. :roll:

I like my Arkansas AMF Roadmaster. The quality didn't suffer until they went to Illinois.

Arkansas, that's where the star sprocket came into being, from late 50's to early 60's.

34xqfzt.jpg

I used to own this Skylark. It was a rusty brown mess before the 15 hours of elbow grease and some steelwool. It was a great bike and I do miss it.
Photo021.jpg
Photo023.jpg
Photo024.jpg

He's my Arkansas built Skyrider I bought from an old gentleman in Rochester,NY.
This is the bike that started my Rat Bike odessey
amf.jpg

DSC04110.JPG

Found this today...Bought for a friend that like s Girls bikes...Don't know the year,but it's an AMF Roadmaster Skylark 26".

Though AMFs from the 60s and 70s were not to popular because of their quality, I still decided to save this one from the scrap yard !
This is what I did to it for one of the build offs, it has for the most part just hung under the awning since then.
100_7146.jpg

100_7147.jpg

this is how it looked when I saved it from sure demise...I'm still not sure it was the right thing to do :roll:
100_6943.jpg

Latest posts

Back