Show Off Your Finished Huffy Cranbrook's and Nel Lusso

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Cranbrook doesn't have holes drilled in the head tube or bottom bracket to allow for argon gas to be infused into the frame for welding, thus poor looking welds. My welds seem strong enough, just not neat. Also, with no interconnecting holes the seatpost tube can't drain anywhere if water gets into it. Its just butt welded. My rims were right up there in quality with the pedals. Tires will not seat on my Cranbrook rims unless I use Sho Goo. I really just wanted the frame, crank and handle bars and the rest I trashed. The chrome is really poor and rusted through after part of a winter in the salt. Good enough for a winter beater and it was way cheaper than buying a new cruiser frame on the net so I am no way complaining. I wanted just the frame and used a little more so I got more than I bargained for. The new Cranbrook's I see at Fall-apart don't even have chrome cranks, they are black. Still can't beat the price and they make a good platform for a lot of different ideas.

My first cruiser bike, long gone now.

DSC00507_zps770be01f.jpg

First post here. Nothing extreme or that special on the Huffy, but the pictures came out good so... $94 Walmart Huffy Cranbrook. Decals removed or modified, geared low for slow riding with my 6 y.o. son, changed the handlebars and grips, added cateye speedometer off my old mtn bike and a cup holder, schwinn sprung seat, fenderless, homemade 45ACP casing valve caps. I will probably paint the handlebars black to match the rest of the hardware, but having a hard time deciding - the chrome is like the white-walls...classic.

LODDkdDh.jpg

yX3xW0jh.jpg

WA46Tugh.jpg

jVz2000h.jpg

E5QDoQzh.jpg

First post here. Nothing extreme or that special on the Huffy, but the pictures came out good so... $94 Walmart Huffy Cranbrook. Decals removed or modified, geared low for slow riding with my 6 y.o. son, changed the handlebars and grips, added cateye speedometer off my old mtn bike and a cup holder, schwinn sprung seat, fenderless, homemade 45ACP casing valve caps. I will probably paint the handlebars black to match the rest of the hardware, but having a hard time deciding - the chrome is like the white-walls...classic.

LODDkdDh.jpg

yX3xW0jh.jpg

WA46Tugh.jpg

jVz2000h.jpg

E5QDoQzh.jpg
Awesome dude... I just did a minor makeover on this..
De-labeled, removed tin foil fenders, add some chrome goodies from previous Huffy Cranbrook mod, and red wheels went over onto Monark project [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Huffy Cranbrook chainguard mash-up: A 1968 Raleigh Fireball DTR chainguard bolted over a 2015 Huffy Cranbrook chainguard. Got the Raleigh chainguard from a swap last year!

Before:
DaddyO%203%2024%205%20011_zpsnmwzuemk.jpg

After:
DaddyO%20001_zpswbtyw6tn.jpg

:)

Last edited:
Not exactly a build, more of a makeover.
28c4f5af03848cfb64dc80c9410afa4a.jpg

Swapped out the fenders and handlebars for some chrome bobber style ones I picked up new at the local bike co-op. Changed the seat to a brown leather one picked up at a local bike shop for a steal ($15.00, real leather, pulled off a fancy new commuter when the bike shop upgraded a bike for a customer) and new grips. Thinking about changing the headset and chain guard to chrome also.
a659ace2ba57ddbcf3ca0305176ce5d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to beat a Huffy cranbrook for the money...nice looking ride!!!
As far as budget goes, ya get what ya pay for.. Just watch out for flaws.. their gooseneck stem and handlebar are most flimsy part along with poorly welded frames.. believe me, I've already folded one handlebar and broke the handlebar stem..

Last edited:
I agree..you get what you pay for...some the welds are bad...best to check before you buy...still not bad for the money...best to repack everything..never broke a stem yet..best of luck...

I agree..you get what you pay for...some the welds are bad...best to check before you buy...still not bad for the money...best to repack everything..never broke a stem yet..best of luck...
I were standing up pedaling up a small incline, handlebar just folded under me... and I weighed 150 pounds.. and the gooseneck welds tore out at the top.. I had to replacd them both with Wald's gooseneck and bar.. a lot heavier made...

Latest posts

Back