show off your looptails!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha!!What did you not like about your TT??Looks great!

Well, TBH, the whole thing was just pretty much half-...'d, with the exception of the bars. The fork was built pretty good, but the decals on the fork and frame were all jacked-up and misapplied, with generous amounts of blasting media stuck to the sticky side, so they were mostly unsalvageable. The seatpost wouldn't fit the frame; it's a bit too fat to fit any frame with a 7/8"ID seat-tube. But that was only half of my problems with that, b/c Johnny couldn't be bothered to ream the seat-tube , and there was plenty of blockage in there from some weld penetration, so I had to do that myself. Also, the seat-tube at the collar was oversized by a few mm, so I had to force the seatpost collar on there and remove some powder, etc. Drop outs were spaced at like 118mm and weren't straight.

When I brought the more serious issues to Brent's attention, he basically told me to kick rocks.

The welds themselves are super-smooth, stack-of-dimes beads. Johnny has been making frames, off'n'on, for decades. It's clear that he has a lot of skill, but I guess he couldn't be bothered to do it right. Others have had similar issues, and apparently he has been busted for selling knock-offs in the past, too. Yeah, the frame looks hot, and once I got around the hang-ups, it rides pretty good, too. But, when you pay hundreds of dollars for a frameset, you shouldn't have to respace your hubs, straighten the rear end, ream the seat-tube, etc. And, when you drop like $35 on a seatpost, it should be built to spec, and it shouldn't be rusty on the inside.

It's not really a big deal; it's just a bike frame, and it was stuff I could handle myself, but I tried to support an American builder, paid a pretty penny for it, and got burned. Imagine if I were some kid who wouldn't be able to address these problems. That'd be borderline tragic. (Truth is, though, I think TT customers tend to be middle-aged guys.) I got a Genuine Article 1 from Atomic Paul, and everything was made exactly to spec. Restored my faith in American-made stuff, for sure.

But, yeah, even if it all worked out in the end, I can't help but feel like JTT made a substandard product, so I can't get too worked up about posting pics of it online.

Last edited:
That sucks about your TT.Ive heard a few bad things about his products and its insanely hard to get a hold of him.But bikes are just a side project for him.His welding is what he makes all his money on.Best bet is to just go by his shop if your local.But the genuine bikes are pretty nice.Pauls a real stand up guy with really cool products.even has a Less expensive frame set that is made over seas to keep the cost down.but ive ridden all his different frame designs and the geometry has been pretty spot on.The next frameset im gonna get is a santa Barbara cruiser off of rex.dudes got LEGIT products that are all made and welded by him.

I'm a NJ guy; no chance of stoppng by any Cali shop....

Everything I've seen as far as Santa Barbara stuff looks to be top-notch. I'd love to have one of those, too....

What's up with the imported Genuine frameset? I haven't seen that, yet.

Its their 3 bar 26 frame just made over seas and is mild steel instead of chromoly.welds look great and rides nice.most guys don't ride 26s hard so the mild steel works fine.santa Barbara cruisers are the cream of the crop!Rex Is a great guy and a awesome fabricator!!His stems,hubs and seat clamps are beautiful and hes got I believe 3 or 4 different frame designs.His new one is a twin toptube full chromoly 3 bar!SICK!!They are all very similar geometry to a Cook cruiser.

Show off your looptails bump!

14539858083_7c6b836947_o.png

Luke.

Latest posts

Back