SHOW US YOUR KLUNKERZ

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up the '38. Here's smore pics.
2d60f093c8cefd1a18b04cf1a7e1a209.jpg

7c61e9d2bc3464f3cc92a04583204e05.jpg

d6ebcdc9cae8321e40275ec5c6e26fc7.jpg

04b6dd7d7cd94b275b2910c97c683d26.jpg

1bf6f9450fadd3c44fa2a12212df10fe.jpg

Stunning! Did you use the same dart pattern on the frame as the original paint scheme from the factory? I'm looking for stencils for one of these prewar canti frames, so interested to know.

I think you mentioned this build will have lots of chrome parts - they certainly will pop with that paint work! Great job!

Stunning! Did you use the same dart pattern on the frame as the original paint scheme from the factory? I'm looking for stencils for one of these prewar canti frames, so interested to know.

I think you mentioned this build will have lots of chrome parts - they certainly will pop with that paint work! Great job!
I couldnt find stencils for the frame. There is a company making stickers - but they were the wrong color.

I found pictures of frames that I gave to the frame builder - and even bought an old Schwinn fork with the correct paint for him to match and mimic.

The darts were hand painted on the forks originally, while these were stencils.

Some inspiration - would love to have the bars, grips and levers!

Wow, Now I am confused . I always thought a Klunker was a stripped down bike, or basicly a frame with wheels, or kind of an incomplete bike. But now it turns out that the yellow Motorcycle is a Klunker too..
That's a shocker.:crazy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of the 70s klunkers sported moto bars and brake levers, b/c they were overbuilt and could withstand the abuse that offroadin' a cruiser could dish out on parts. Plus, the motocross and dirtbike bars put the rider in a nice position for offroad riding. Klunking with the cruiser bars of the day was risky due to bars bending/breaking, and it wasn't going to be optimal from an ergonomics standpoint.

I've run some Renthal bars on some of my industrial klunkers. So many different bends available, and they're definitely overbuilt. The flipside is, they're very heavy, despite being made from aluminum.

Last edited:
PS- "Klunker" is a term often applied to a cruiser bike that has been modified for offroad use. This can involve removing parts (eg, fenders, chainguard, tank, kickstand) to shed weight, or adding parts to improve performance (eg, knobby tires, front brakes, multiple speeds, hand brake for the rear, 3 piece crank, stronger bars or stem, etc...).... Many bikes will incorporate both strategies, to varying degrees... The yellow Bultaco pictured above has "klunker" appeal b/c it would provide some killer-looking era-accurate cockpit components, had the bars, levers, and grips ever been co-opted for klunker duty...

In other news, I just threw together another Industrial-based klunker; a Husky this time. We got a little storm last night and it's supposed to keep snowing til noon, so I just got bored and wrenched up a Chuckz special for the millionth time. My plan is to build one each of all the current/recent industrial bikes with very similar parts (cb-only, knobbies, OPC, cheap components), and take down the specs/dimensions, ride impressions, lend'm out to buddies for second/third/fourth opinions, etc. I'll post my findings in a separate thread, but I'm looking for feedback here on the klunker thread. The frames being considered are: Worksman INB, Summit Workhorse, Husky HD105, and Schwinn Heavy Duti (China). (I have some other, older industrial bikes, but I'm trying to limit it to current production bikes...) Am i missing anything?

irideiam: HOTT Columbia.

Livetoride: Yeah, we are on some kinda blizzard watch, but so far, it ain't nothin'. I test-rode the Husky around the block in my pajamas about an hour ago, after shoveling the walk, and digging out the wife's cat. She's got work today, despite the storm. (Verdict's still out for me...)

Seems like they always make a big deal out of nothing with these storms. I think they're out to get better ratings...

Latest posts

Back