SHOW US YOUR KLUNKERZ

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gowjobs said:
Hammond Eggz said:
*Quick question, though - what differentiates a "Klunker", from a "Bomber"?

Klunker: Multi-speed, usually with cantilever or drum/roller brakes f&r

Bomber: Single-speed, often coaster-brake in rear... front brake optional.

that just about sums it up.

maybe billy will weigh in on this, but i think charlie and alan usually subdivide multi-speed klunkers as 'hybrid klunkers'- the real proto mountain bike. they will have all the neccesary shifters, cables, guides, zip-ties, etc....

a bomber probably won't have anything beyond a front brake cable, if that!

i think a 'bomber' can be a 'klunker', but i don't think a 'hybrid klunker' can be considered a 'bomber'.

my brain hurts......... :D

41DX said:
I never realized Jeff and Scooderdudes bikes looked so much alike.
Both stellar rides.
T

Thanks T. Your DX is beautiful too - the blond accessory ain't bad either :D

Scooderdudes bike was honestly what got me thinking about building a bike! Then I stumbled on the "C" on craigslist before I could really ID a "C" (either could the seller). Then I got the blue Ukai's for an obscenely cheap price. That sealed it -- I had to go for the look of Scooderdude's bike.

Went on a good ride this weekend, long walk up hill, quick ride down, break out the toolkit and repair bike, then back up the hill to do it again!

DSCN1108.jpg

Bendix said:
gowjobs said:
Hammond Eggz said:
*Quick question, though - what differentiates a "Klunker", from a "Bomber"?

Klunker: Multi-speed, usually with cantilever or drum/roller brakes f&r

Bomber: Single-speed, often coaster-brake in rear... front brake optional.

that just about sums it up.

maybe billy will weigh in on this, but i think charlie and alan usually subdivide multi-speed klunkers as 'hybrid klunkers'- the real proto mountain bike. they will have all the neccesary shifters, cables, guides, zip-ties, etc....

a bomber probably won't have anything beyond a front brake cable, if that!

i think a 'bomber' can be a 'klunker', but i don't think a 'hybrid klunker' can be considered a 'bomber'.

my brain hurts......... :D

Thanks, guys - I'd never heard that explanation before.

Well, in keeping with the ever-changing look of my FlightLiner, seeing all these cool bikes here and now knowing the difference between Klunker and Bomber :mrgreen: , I couldn't resist putting one together myself in sort of a Bomber style:

012-3.jpg

I kept the truss rods, stem and chainguard from the "Sky Ranger" build, added ally rims with Specialized "Rhythm" gumwall dirt tires, honey Brooks B67, and new bars with BMX grips. :D

i thought it was a "klunker", but i guess it's actually a "bomber" or maybe it's neither. i just call it "spacetrucker" and it seems to fit into this thread. 8)

spacetrucker1-1.jpg

spacetrucker2-1.jpg

onelesspedestrian said:
MrPoopypants001.jpg

I think this is an Eaton's Glider frame, judging only by the shape of the head badge. Regardless of what my high end bike collection contains, this will always be a favourite. This style of bike rules!

two thumbs up

I think it looks pretty good for my first Klunker, I like the look of white rims with fat black tires. I think i'm gonna leave it green too! it rides so nice. Once I get new tires and fix the coaster brake and do some more work to it I think it will be great!
100_2057.jpg

Latest posts

Back